Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV 4500 Swap Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fullwidth, May 20, 2002.

1. fullwidth

fullwidth Registered Member

I want to swap a NV 4500 into my 85 3/4 ton 4x4. I need as much info I can get. Who has done this swap and how hard is it?? Can I use a mechanical clutch instead of a hydralic?? Any help would be appreciated. I found a remanufactured NV 4500 for 1450 (have to pay core) is this a decent price?? Thanks

2. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I've thought about doing the same swap for my 1984 3/4 ton. The 6.56:1 granny low is nice in my SM465 off the road, but 1:1 on the highway SUX.

I think $1450 sounds like a decent price on a rebuilt NV4500 from what I have heard...

Finding an adapter plate to mount a transfer case might have to be a custom fab job if you want to run an NP203, NP205 or NP208. If you run a standard transfer case that bolts to an NV4500 (don't know what GM put on there), I think the front axle output shaft might be on the wrong side of the transfer case to fit your axle. This problem can be solved two ways... run an NP20X transfer case and get a custom adapter or swap your front axle for a Phord front axle that has the diff on the left side.

I don't know about running a linkage clutch with a 4500 -> hydraulic setups are so much better IMO. I converted my `84 from a beat-up linkage setup to hydraulic and there's no going back for me!

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you want to do this?

I used an Advanced Adapters setup to swap out the M465 in my 71 Jimmy (NP205). The website has some good info. I would buy a GM bellhousing - their aluminum bellhousing looks cheesy, but I suppose it's OK.
    Had to move my crossmember back, notch it for the frame-to-TC support, shorten rear driveshaft, and lengthen front. A job with the body off...

http://www.gearvendors.com/ag4x4.html

Good luck

4. fullwidth

I was reading in another post that a 208 bolts right up. I could use my stock 208 in the process untill I have saved up enough to bye the doubler. Correct?? Will I need a AA belhousing? Whats the best clutcxh master to use and slave cyclinder, pedals and all that stuff, were the best place to buy?? Thanks

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

The bolt pattern for the NV4500 is different from the M465, so you will need a GM or AA bellhousing.

For some reason I assumed you are running a manual trans, but maybe not. I would think if you are replacing an automatic, your best bet would be a set of pedals and mechanical linkage from a 78-87 truck with manual. This would be a direct bolt in.

The NV4500 is a smooth shifting transmission - very nice.

Good luck

6. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have recently done the 4500 swap. It is not difficult if you get a GM 4500 from a 4WD. I strongly suggest contacting AA and purchasing the 4500 conversion manual. It is only $10-$15 and has a great deal of info. Their are two versions of GM 4WD 4500's, and early version which has a mechanical throwout and lower gear ratio and a later version which has a hydraulic throwout and different gearing. There are other differences between the two, thats why I suggest getting AA manual. The swap itself is very easy if you do your homework.
    Layne

7. fullwidth

So if I get the pedals out of a older chevy and hook it up, what is the best way to put in a hydraulic linkage to the pedal. Everyone tells me to go hydraulic, what is the easiest way to go hydraulic and the best place to buy the parts. Thanks Alot

8. K5BLT4FUN

I purchased a pedal set from a wrecked truck and bought a new master cylinder and slave cylinder for a '87 truck. Then adapted the slave fittting to the new style throw out bearing. I purchased a new belhousing for the same vintage transmission.

9. fullwidth

Thanks K5BLT4FUN, I should just purchase a pedal set for like a 94 chevy?? What year is the best one to get. I know I have to get a Chevy 4x4 tranny. Will the slave cylinder be on the drivers side or the passenger?? Will the 208 bolt up for the time being??

10. K5BLT4FUN

Lates start with some basic questions. What year is your truck? Has the motor been replaced and if so what year is the motor? If you have an 81-91 Blazer you will need pedals from a 86-87 Truck or 86-91 Blazer. The Slave needs to be on the drivers side. I have heard of someone using the newer style truck pedals 88-94, but have not actually seen it. The reason I ask about the engine is because if it is an early 2 piece rear main seal then the you may need a special thick flywheel, but if its the newer one piece rear main seal you can get the flywheel from GM with no problem. I purchased all my part from GM, they were expensive, but I have had no problems with them. The 208 should bolt up to the GM tailhousing and work. If you are planning on going to a 205 the tailhousing will need to be changed to a dodge tailhousing and a AA adaptor kit installed to mate them, however if you could find a late model 205 with a round mating pattern it would bolt right up as well.
    Layne

11. fullwidth

Alright my truck is a 1985 GMC Sierra Classic. Its a 3/4 ton longbed. Im not to sure about the engine it is a 350 and is stock. Still has all the smog [censored] and vacumm. I have a 700R4 tranny in there right now. Thanks for your help

12. fullwidth

13. K5BLT4FUN

You more than likely have a 2 piece rear main seal block which may or may not require a thick flywheel. You also need to determine which version 4500 you have. Again I strongly suggest getting AA's 4500 conversion manual. It does have a great deal of information.

14. fullwidth

I havent gotten the tranny yet. That why Im asking so many questions so when I purchase the tranny its the right one. I do plan on getting that manuel though. I was thinking a 94- newer GM NV 4500 with 32 spline output shaft. Will the 208 bolt up also?? Thanks When getting the pedals, should I get the from like a 81-87 or should I get the pedal from the 90 truck??

15. fullwidth

whats is your e-mail?

16. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile so people can help you without having to ask for that information. Kind of helps people know a little about you. Also it helps if you reply to someone other then yourself, we then know who you're asking the question of, as well as a member's profile will usually have their email address.

17. fullwidth

ok Thanks