Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV-4500 Tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

What years did GM use the NV-4500 Transmission ? What model
    4x4's had the NV-4500 and what T Case was married to it ?
    Do all GM T cases have right side output for the front differential ?

I dont have a lot of knowledge on GM products. I am into Power Wagons. I am building a Power Wagon Carryall presently with a Cummins 4BTA engine. I want to use a NV-4500 tranny and Married T case. I need right side output from the T case to the front diff.

Thanks for helping a Power Wagon Guy. Pictures of the Power Wagons at www.mcmp.net and www.dodge-power-wagon.com

Paul

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Dodge and Chevy both started in 92. The early Chevy models (92-94) have a 6.34 1st gear, the later Chevys and all Dodges have a 5.61 1st gear. Not sure what Dodge models had it, 3/4 and 1 tons to be sure. All heavy 3/4 and 1 ton Chevy trucks were available with it, and some 1/2 tons with factory towing packages. Stock TC's were NP241's and 241HD's and some Borg-Warner models in the heavy Chevys. Advance adapters can mate em to anything and have lots of info. They were all mated to driver drop t-cases. I'm trying to find out if a 241 out of a 89-91 blazer or burb will bolt up, but haven't found much info.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

GM used the NV4500 deffinitly in '93, possible '92. All were LH output t-cases, IFS trucks. You could use a RH output NP241 from a '90-91 V2500 suburban however, older NP208s or even rarer NP205 should work if it has the 32spline input with round adapter. If you don't find the np205 I'd prefer the NP241 with presurized lube circuit.

4. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Talk to Vick at Advance Adapters - he has more knowledge than you could believe!

5. ks2krpt

Thanks to all for all the great info. Did the 90-91 V 2500
    Suburbans that ran the right side output from the T case to the front also use the NV-4500 as an option ? This project is getting so far out of budget, I would like to find a vehicle that has the NV-4500 and RH output NV 241. I can scour the yards and save a lot of bucks not having to buy adapters.

A friend told me he had a NP-205 T case that I could have free. He dropped it off......yup left side output. Cant use it since my front diff is on right. Just mu luck.

Thanks
    Paul

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Sorry, they used the SM465 until 1991. I see no reason why a RH NP241 won't bolt right up, as long as it came from a 4L80E or SM465. The case from a 4L60(TH700) would need a different input gear.

Here's what we can do. I have an extra RH NP241 in the garage from a '91 burban. Send me an extra NV4500 and I'll let you know how it works /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

7. ks2krpt

Dan, thanks for the additional info. Wow, your idea for testing sounds great ha ha ha ha..

Thank You
    Paul