Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500/203/205 install *updated 10/06* Done!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Oct 2, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm tackling this by myself, with not crushing my head under this stuff being my number one goal. :D I'm trying to plan every lift, move etc and then work the plan.

This is my vacation, so I don't plan on working at any sort of insane pace...for once I want to enjoy the wrenching. Anyways, I thought I'd do something different. I'm going to post pic's of my progress in realtime. Basically I'll work an hour or so while snapping pics...then upload as I take a break and repeat until I quit for the day.

I figure this might be fun...:waytogo:

On to the current pics. They're no more than about 10 minutes old so enjoy.

You might recall I had the whole thing mocked up in my computer room. first step was to break it all down so I could move this stuff to underneath my truck. First up was the 205.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purdy huh? :D Got my bling "deblinged" by having the billet bearing retainers black anodized...:p:

Next up was the 203, this one isn't too heavy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see part of the triple stick bracketry in that one ^^

205 and 203 under the truck...at this point I'm putting off the inevitable.

[​IMG]

This would be the 'inevitable'...200 lbs of tranny and not a nieghbor in sight. :doah: I had to resort to using my daughters little Radio Flyer as a dolly.

[​IMG]

And finally the NV4500 under the truck...fortunately the Radio Flyer fits under the truck too. :haha:

[​IMG]

I'll keep posting as i make progress today and prolly into tonight.

Rene

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Ive done a nv4500 alone but not a 205. Good luck:eek1:

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I hope you have been eating your Wheaties lately... :D

Good luck with it looks like it will be an awsome drivetrain when your are done.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's been 40 minutes, think that NV4500 has crushed his skull yet? :D

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

What style NV4500 are you using? Pre 96 or post 96?

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Its been over an hour and 45 mins now. He's stuck under the truck with the tranny laying on him.:haha:

8. tRustyK5

Not yet Mike...but at least now it has the potential.:D

On to the new pic's.

NV4500 off the Radio flyer, gasket on and ready for the 203 range box.

[​IMG]

NV4500...meet 203

[​IMG]

Bolted up, top two bolts are just snug as they'll have to come out again later for the trip-stick bracket.

[​IMG]

drivetrain all together again, and a sneak peak at the engineering marvel I rented. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Nothing but the best here... :rolleyes: :doah:

[​IMG]

The plan in action...lol

[​IMG]

I think someone before me had a Cummins 6BT on this thing. As soon as it started to take up the weight it became a 3 legged hoist. The one wheel is almost 6" off the ground. :doah: I guess $28 a day doesn't rent much anymore.

[​IMG]

The whole thing hangs pretty decent...a little tail heavy but manageable I think. Here you can really see the twist in the cherry picker...

[​IMG]

I'm gonna have a bit of lunch, then back at it. More pic's in a little while (unless I haven't made any progress...)

Rene

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks Good!!! Be careful working by youself.:D :wink1:

10. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

awsome man, its the dream combonation for me, where did you find the 5 speed, and what is its first low gear ratio? or does it have one.

Id love to do this swap.

also where do i found out about the triple stick, ive heard of twinsticks of course, but 3? what is the advantage

11. tRustyK5

The NV4500 was given to me by a CK5er almost 5 years ago (Sparky87K5...thanks again Bill!!!.) It was a basket case though and up until recently it just sat in storage because I couldn't afford to rebuild it.

The reality is for what I spent rebuilding it I could have just bought one...but I gained some good knowledge, and I can say I rebuilt it. The first gear ratio is 5.61:1. I kinda wish I got one of the earlier years with the 6.34:1, however those years also used a weaker 2 piece countershaft. Final crawl ratio will be 100.78:1

When you do a doubler you'll end up with at least two T-case shifters. The first one controls Low, N and High range for the 203 range box. The second shifter controls the 205 in the standard pattern. I chose to have the rails ground on my 205 so it now has two shifters (plus the 203 shifter) which is how you end up with three T-case shifters.

The advantage is I can choose High or Low range for the front wheels only, or the rear wheels only. In tight quarters if I need to turn the truck very sharply I can put the rear wheels in nuetral and use the front wheels to pull the truck around. With a bit of brake the truck should pretty much pivot on the rear wheels.

It also helps confuse the car thieves...:D

Rene

12. tRustyK5

More pic's soon...had to break the :grind: out. Sure could use another set of hands about now. :doah:

Rene

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is my kind of reality show.

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

did you have ur cases built by NWF or did you just paint them up real nice? looks killer. im thinkin about buyin their doubler kit and i love the way evetything looks

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

from what i remember Rene had his cases built by nwf

16. tRustyK5

Yeah, I had Kyle and Jordan at Northwest Fab build the cases for me. It was one of those time/money things where I had the money but not the time. They did a great job, really nice to deal with too.

OK, things are slowing down a bit as far as progress goes. i had to remove part of my floor...:doah:

[​IMG]

The strap and Chain were catching really bad on the front edge of the tunnel. Moving the lifting point further ahead was not an option as it's already tail heavy. I'm pretty sure I needed to do this anyways to clear the triple stick shifters. If not it won't be much work to weld that back in.

Next up was an old heat sheild, so as usual I took the elegant approach. :grind: :hack:

[​IMG]

Input is into the bell at this point...

[​IMG]

Ran out to grab some long 7/16" bolts for line-up purposes and this is where I'm at now.

[​IMG]

Anyone that has ever done a clutch or swapped in a manual tranny knows that I'm now at what is considered to be the asshole part of the job. Trying to get the 10 spline input through the clutch disc and into the pilot. I am updating right now because I was getting frustrated. I may have to put a jack under the tail end to help line it up better.

As soon as this slides in the worst is pretty much done, the rest is just 'labor' and not really difficult IMO.

Rene

17. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i use a rubber mallot gettin my 465 input through the clutch, hasnt hurt anything

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looking good. how much would you say youve got tied up into the doubler having NWF build the cases? you dont have to say if it hurts too much to do so. cant wait to see the final product completely installed.

19. tRustyK5

I'd have to go back and check all my invoices and stuff. NWF has prices up on their site though....

Rene

20. tRustyK5

Yeah, I've used a bit of brute force in the past...I'm just fighting the whole 10 spline thing. I need to get some forward pressure on the whole thing while I rotate the rear yoke a little.

Rene