Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 5 speed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ive heard of this transmission before but ive never seen one in person. Does anyone have any info on them? Are they better than a 465?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

they are virtually the same thing as a sm465 but with overdrive (.73:1)

there are a couple minor things:
    first gear is not as deep, low 6.XX:1 only came on 93-94 GM (i think) and after that they are all 5.XX:1 first gear (can be found in GM, dodge trucks 95-XX? with the higher first gear) but its still 5.XX:1... most auto trannys are down around 3... so its still "granny low", but not sm465 6.55:1

there is a 5th gear issue... easy repair of a dumb design that can fail to horrible consequences (do a search as i dont know exactly what the repair is)

they also require a conversion bellhousing to mate to our era engines ($200+ via AdvanceAdaptors)
    then you have to figure out the crossmember (may be an issue - depends on tcase)

also expect to fork out $$ to get any tcase other than a 241 or 208 to mate to it

3. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone has info on mounting an NP203 to one of these?

4. gauder

gauder Banned

What's different about the bellhousing? I thought all GEN I small blocks had the same bolt pattern.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Divorced Ford NP203 to a 2wd 4500 would be the cheapest way... :D

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

correction.....the dodge NV4500 requires an adapter to mate the tranny to the motor.

the GM style will bolt up with no mods to the bellhousing.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

started in 92 with the ultra low first granny gear. ( and granny reverse) I think it stopped after 2 years. No bell housing differences, would bolt up. 241 was the common tcase, but there was a few other ones that would fit with an output shaft change.

5 gear is an easy fix, couple hundred. But just try finding a used NV4500 cheap.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is far harder to do than you'd think!

I want a 2wd version for my truck. I've already go a divorced 205, but I can't find anything under 1500 bucks up here. Esspecially for the late model 92 -> 94 with the 6.34:1 first gear.

What is this 5th gear issue everyone is talking about? I've never heard anything about it before...

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

A couple of things. High Impact sells a complete NV4500 kit for our trucks which includes bellhousing clutch & pedal slave cylinder & tranny I was quoted $2200. The problem with 5th gear is the retaining nut for the gear would loosen allowing the gear to disengage from the shaft and essentially roll around in the tranny. And finally to mount a NP203 to an NV4500 you screw plugs into the adapter mounts on the NP203 and redrill the face of the NP203 to match the bolt pattern on the NV4500 according to Stephen at ORD no adapter is required.

Ira

10. Russell

Could a guy just drill a hole through the shaft and use a cotter pin to hold the 5th gear in place?

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The shafts might be hardened and that would suck to drill. They sell a kit to repair it it is like $40 bucks it replaces the nut with a different style and I believe is a locking style. Personally I do not think drilling and putting a cotter pin in is a wise idea.

Ira

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is a great link that explains the 5th gear issue.

http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500%205th%20Gear%20Failures%20and%20Solutions.htm

The short version is that it's a bit of a dumb design. Keeping the nut from backing off is only half the problem. The cause of the nut backing off is the 5th gear 'rocking' back and forth on the splines of the mainshaft everytime you give it gas or take your foot off. A few aftermarket kits solved the nut issue, but eventually the splines of the 5th gear strip and you have the exact same problem.

Bear in mind that the majority of problems are with the heavy hitters like the CTD in front of the NV4500, combined with loads that exceed the rating of the tranny.

Rene

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The ratios for the earlier 4500 (GM only) is 6.34:1
    For all the others is 5.61:1

This is not true. Chevy changed the bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern.

Another complaint is noisy in thrid.

Why do you want to use a 203?

14. gauder

gauder Banned

I thought that the GEN I style smallblock built until 99 still had the standard sb/bb transmission bolt pattern. I know the LSX motors have a different bolt pattern. Could you show an example? Not arguing, just unaware of what year they did this.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The bolt pattern from the bellhousing to the engine is the same. As a matter of fact the Gen III small block has the same bolt pattern only one bolt hole is not there on the block and it has been said it does not reduce the effectiveness of the joint. The pattern that changed is the pattern between the bellhousing and the Transmission gearbox itself.

Ira

16. gauder

gauder Banned

Thanks for clearing that up Ira! This place is the best. I hope to be able to help out some day like a lot of you guys.

Ryan

17. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Well this got a little technical lol. So what years and types of trucks can these transmissions be found in? Would it be possible to put one in my 73 K20? It has a 350,sm465, and Np205. The only reason it interests me much is the higher gear that I would love to have for the interstate.

18. Russell

So what years and types of trucks can these transmissions be found in?

6.34:1 = late production year 92 -> 94 3/4 ton and 1 ton 2wd / 4x4 Chevy and GMC trucks

5.61:1 = 95 + 3/4 ton and 1 ton Chevy trucks, along with late production year 92 + 3/4 ton and 1 ton Dodge trucks

Would it be possible to put one in my 73 K20? It has a 350,sm465, and Np205.

Very possible! Not sure what would be involved with bolting the 205 up to it, and you'd need to upgrade to a hydraulic clutch setup (any 85 + standard tranny truck will have a hydraulic clutch you can use) Otherwise, it'd just be a matter of moving the tranny crossmember around, possibly with some minor modifications to your stock crossmembers, along with driveshaft modifications.

The only reason it interests me much is the higher gear that I would love to have for the interstate.

Same reason why I want one too. I've got a 465/205 combo myself, and other than 2nd (going on a basis of L, 1, 2, 3) popping out, and a leaky front seal on the 205, I love it!

19. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I have thought of this swap too as I am looking at CTD swap. But I wonder if it wouldn't be better all around to just install a Gear Vendors behind the SM465. More gears with smaller gaps between them and about the same cost as what a 4500 would cost.

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

IMO, the Ranger OD in front of the SM465 is a better choice ;)

Except the 3500HD and P-series got the NV4500 in '91.

Find a 32-spline NP203 (TH400 type). Drill & tap the face for the 6-bolt pattern of the NV4500. Bolt it on.