Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 - Bellhousing bolt extraction

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=1665

I'm running an earlier style NV4500 with what appears to be an AA bellhousing. One of the allen head bolts is stripped at the head. I need to remove it so I can install the NP208 support rod that the PO left off. Any suggestions?:mad:

I'd rather not have to remove the whole #%$ assembly to get at it but it's fairly tight quarters up there for a RT angle drill/extractor routine... Bolt is SS so tack welding with flux core is not very attractive.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have that exact bellhousing sitting behind me attached to my NV4500. I'm not sure I understand which bolt it is that is stuck though...

If the PO ran some Stainless socket head cap screws into the 4 locations where the tranny and bell bolt together that's gonna be miserably tight to get to.

Welding to SS is an option. A lot of SS can be welded with regular welding wire. For an extraction I'd try it...

Rene

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The hex head bolt appeared to be regular steel. I tried welding an allen socket to it this afternoon but it shattered when I hit it with the impact. Looks like I'll have to use the traditional extraction technique by drilling off the head and using an extractor on the rest. Yuk.

4. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

Try using a squirrel socket

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Check your Sears catalog; they have "screw out" and "bolt out" thingies that I've had decent luck with.
    Jimbo