Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 Bellhousing Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mosesburb, Feb 2, 2007.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Has anyone run a stock passenger side slave cylinder bellhousing on an older K-series with a passenger drop NP205??
    If so, what were the results?? How much lift does the truck have?? I know front driveshaft interference can be an issue with no lift, but I don't know what the minimum amount of lift is for acceptable clearance.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I did. I had like 14" of lift. Honestly if you see it on a truck it doesnt stick out that bad. I had an 8 qt oil pan on mine and it didn't stick out any lower then that and it tucked up right next to the pan.

[​IMG]

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Front driveshaft clearance was my biggest concern and in the photo I don't see one. I just don't want to find out that when I stuff the right front tire into the wheel-well that I also stuffed the slave cylinder up into the flywheel. What do you think as I only have about 5" of lift.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well it wouldn't matter anyway, I had 14" of lift in that picture. I can.t go put it on and check either because I no longer have the truck. The reason I posted the pic was to show it compared to the 8 qt oil pan, because it would give you a better idea since it is both deeper and wider then stock.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From your pic I'd say it'd get smoked with 4-6" of lift and even remotely flexy springs...:doah:

Rene

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

same issue though

Your going to run into the same issue though- your issue isnt the slave , its the bell housing. It just depends on how far your can flex with the drive shaft.There is some steps you can do to find out how far you can stuff though (theoretically).

If you measure the distance from the 205 front output shaft to where it is almost touching the bell housing (you'll hit the bell housing before you hit the slave- the slave is foward facing). Drag that point forward until where the axle is.

Hold that point, and use a ruler or measuring tape and measure how far away the axle is. (direct drop down)

This gives you the amount of "flex" theoretically possible at the point of the diff.

Keep in mind:
    1. Your acutal wheel flex will be greater than the flex at the pinion. In most pictures I've seen flex is always one side up, one side down, and the pinion and drive shaft dont move quite as much as yout probably thinking.
    2. Depends on lift and tire sizing. The larger you go on either, the less this becomes an issue.
    3. Keep in mind the drive shaft diameter when making these rough calculations. :)

I'd be more worried if you like to jump your truck ..with super flexy springs.