Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 Doubler Questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mosesburb, Jun 13, 2003.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Apr 20, 2003
    I was reading on your site about running the doubler behind a NV4500. It says that the front of the 203 range box will be redrilled to the circular pattern. Is this an easy setup?? Any kind of a jig/template?? I have the technology to drill and tap, but getting the holes located correctly on the first shot is of the utmost importance (wouldn't want to screw up the best part of a 203).
    I have a NP205 with the circular pattern on it. Will this mount to the back of the doubler bracket, or do I need to have the hourglass shaped mounting?? It has the long input gear which will not work, but I didn't know if the circular pattern would work.
    I'm just trying to get an idea of what will be involved in swapping one of these units into my Sub.
    Thanks for your time,
  2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

May 9, 2001
    The Ford 203 already has the circular pattern.. just have to swap in the 32-spline input. Pic (as seen with 4L80E/NP241 adapter)

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    The 203 drill operation is actually pretty simple due to the fact that the 203 bearing retainer will index into the 4500 adapter to locate everything important. You'll have to set the rotation and the best way to do that is to wait till you have the Doubler adapter, bolt it to the back of the 203 and use the flat foot on the 203 and the foot on the 4500 adapter to line the two up. Then you mark the holes and drill away. There's one hole that gets relocated since it usually falls off the casting so you'll drill one new hole in the adapter, or sometimes you can just slot it in the right direction.

Also, the 203 bearing retainer is too tall to fit in some adapters so we've had to turn some of them down but since it's not a critical fit, you could do it with a grinder. You may also have to die grind some clearance into the adapter for the bolt heads. Going with 12 point or allen head bolts for the retainer will help that also.

For the 205 you'll need the short input gear but otherwise it's ready to go. Just let us know what 205 you have and we'll build the Doubler adapter with that bolt pattern, not a big deal at all.