Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 internal slave cylinder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Less having to pull the tranny in the case of a slave cylinder failure, is there any other reason why a guy would not want to run one? How do they hook up? Just a nipple on the side of the bellhousing? What side do they exit on, driver or passenger side?

I would save a fair bit of change if I could use the stock bellhousing on the 98 NV4500 I am considering picking up to bolt onto my 5.3L (which is a whole other challenge in itself :doah:)

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have never realy swaped one on a nv4500. but some fords and jeeps.

and gm nv4500 internal is left side with quick coupler unit. and only ways i have found to get the line is junk yard before its cut and or master with line from dealer only.

3. Russell

Which side is the left side? Pass or Driver's?

I can take whatever parts I need off the 98, as long as I get the bellhousing from a 93 welded up to swap back into the 98...

If I can make the internal slave cylinder work, then the only thing I need to figure out is what flywheel to use, and what I should use for a pilot bearing... Apparantly the new flywheels use the same pressure plate bolt pattern as the old ones, less the addition of some removable dowel pins.

If I can't make the standard work, then I have to run the 4l60e :(

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

stock NV4500 on my 92 k2500 is pass side internal slave. You do not have to remove the tranny, its just two hex bolts IIRC.

They will have issues with certain things, primarily interference with pass side drop t-cases. (namely, the drive shaft may hit the slave). A absolute 4" lift might just do the trick for you.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pookster, what you have is an external slave cylinder. The newer NV4500's used a hydraulic throwout bearing to disengage the clutch. The whole having to remove the tranny when it fails thing is more than reason enough for me to avoid that style. It's not if it fails, it's when...plus there is a chance the clutch disc could get fouled with the hydraulic fluid depending on exactly where it blows a leak.

Rene

6. Russell

Rene, how much did your AA bellhousing set you back? I've seen prices from 300 bucks through 1400 bucks...

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

what da.. who's farkin bright idea was that/???

8. Russell

Typical GM -- Just like them deciding to use an allen key for torque converter bolts!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

$340 US (without checking through my invoices)

Give Kyle a call at NWF, I got mine through him and saved a little money, and a lot of customs hassle.

Rene

10. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Actually, it's not a bad design; Furd has used then for years, and I have over 200k on one. They are in the 6 speed ZF trannies from 99 up. I think GM's problem is either design or manufacturer--I'm sure they are made by some aftermarket mfgr offshore(mexico,china, ???)
    Jimbo