Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, Aug 29, 2006.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I just picked up a 1995 Dodge Cummins version NV4500 to run behind my 6.2L powered '85 Chevy K30/M1028. Input is a 1 1/4" shaft compared to the standard GM 1 1/8" and the output is a 29 spline compared to GM 32 spline. I have to rebuild this tranny anyway so swapping shafts isn't a problem, but that does ad to cost.

I would love to keep the 1 1/4" 10 spline input and just find a dodge clutch disc to work with my GM clutch pressure plate.

On the output shaft I have to weigh the cost of buying a Dodge transfer case (friend of mine recently sold a NV241 for $450 on ebay) with buying a GM 32 spline output. I already have a 32 spline GM NP208.

For the bellhousing my first thing is gonna be looking at redrilling and tapping a '85-91 hydro bellhousing for the Dodge pattern as it would cost me nothing (already have the bellhousing), but I've also been offered an internal slave bell for the late model GM NV4500 with the right pattern for about what I could sell the bellhousing I have now for.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just so you know, the 'output' shaft is also known as the mainshaft and would require complete teardown to replace (unlike swapping the input gear)

Rene

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yes, I'm aware of that. I bought a core tranny in need of a rebuild anyway so its not a problem.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool deal. Stripping all the junk off the mainshaft isn't that hard, as long as you have the mother of all snap ring pliers. That's about the only 'special' tool i needed to buy. Hopefully the Dodge synchro's and gears all fit the GM mainshaft. Getting the mainshaft out of the case is a PITA though, you'll need to cut the rear bearing cage off to gain enough clearance to squeak it out of the case. Last thing is you will prolly need a GM output housing for the rear of the tranny...

Rene