Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

nv4500 rebuild tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cornfed, Feb 15, 2004.

1. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I am rebuilding the 4500 in my burb and was wondering if anyone else on here has dealt with one. It has a nut like a spindle nut to get the mainshaft aprt that is a little smaller than a dana 60 spindle nut socket and a little larger than a 44. Ive tried GM, Advanced Adapters, Snap On and Matco. Anyone know where I can get one so I can go wheelin again?

2. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

IIRC, I used a aluminum block and a hammer after loosening the set screw. Just make sure you get it clean and use locktite when you put it back together.

3. Charly

Charly Registered Member

I borrowed the proper spanner and mainshaft holder from a local Chrysler dealer.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Reactivating an old thread.
    I need to rebuild my 4500 and would prefer to do it on my own. Quad4x4 indicates I need a press and several hundred dollars of specialty tools. Anyone out there have tips on how to do this a bit more cost effectively? I already have $400+ into rebuild parts.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did not use a mainshaft holder, I manually engaged reverse and one of the other forward gears to 'lock' the mainshaft. I used a 6" 'C' clamp to clamp the case of the tranny to a door frame then used the correct mainshaft nut socket (3/4" drive).

The only other special tools I needed was a decent set of pin punches for the 5th gear shifting collar removal (two roll pins) and a good set of large snap ring pliers.

Race removal of the countershaft bearing I managed with a very thin cut-off wheel. I ground carefully in a spiral across the race until I was almost through but not quite and then used a cold chisel to finish it off.

I did need a press for a few things like the input bearing install. a three jaw puller helped a lot removing the balancer and the 5th gear from the mainshaft. I did also buy a seal driver kit which was pretty inexpensive.

It may be a bit easier with all the 'correct' tools, but I found with a bit of imagination you can get around having to buy the majority of them. The exception was the mainshaft nut socket...and Kyle at Northwest Fab was kind enough to lend me that socket.

Rene