Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

nv4500 rebuilds

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odee1, Mar 31, 2004.

1. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

Have any of you guys on the board done a rebuild on one of the chevy nv4500's? I'm in the process of putting on in my dually that I tow my stuff with, I've got one in it right now making noise in 4th and 5th, I let a buddy drive it earlier in the week and he said he can hear it in third also. I would like to find a manual on this tranny. I took the cap off the other one that I have and found some slack in the bottom cluster and a snap ring broke in the 5th gear housing. What about parts?

2. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

surely someone one the board has tore into one of these trannys. Anyone know of a place I could pick up a manual on these?

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I know I have answered Rene on this one a couple times... Let me see if I can find all the links again.

For a manual: Transmission Exchange Co.
    They also sell rebuild kits and new/used hard parts. They are a brick & mortar company in Portland, OR with great service and good prices. I have bought many parts and books from them for different trannys.

I had another one for used/new hard parts too but cant find it yet.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have rebuilt a few of these. I never used a manual though. However, I have the GM Manual on it .

As for "What about parts?" yes, parts are a valiable, do you mean parts other then bearings and synchros? There was a Cummins Dooley that ran 13.'s and it needed an input and a bunch of other parts.

5. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

The parts item was pointed at bearing kits, I have checked with the local parts houses and came up empty handed except for a input and output bearings. I wanted to find everything in one box. Where did you turn up the factory manual on the tranny? Do you have a part number for the book?

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

(Attn Moderator: please delete if this breaks the rules)

Off-Road.Com Product Review from 1997
    NV4500 Technical Manual Review - by Jeff Layton

When I first heard there was a $15.00 tech manual on the NV4500, I figured it'd be
    worth less than that…most factory manuals I've bought have cost $50 & up. With a
    soon-to-come tailshaft swap in the works to fit an NV4500 into my CJ, I could use
    all the help I could get, so I whipped out the credit card & called Mascotech at
    1-800-393-4831. With $4.00 S&H, my manual was on the way.

The manual, officially titled "NVG 4500 5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Technician Reference Manual", is published by General Motors' Service
    Technology Group. As it turns out, it is a manual that is intended to be a review of
    the GM Training Center classroom coursework, and includes a disclaimer that it is
    not intended to substitute for the applicable service manual. However, this
    reviewer found it contained 154 pages full of detailed information, specs,
    drawings, photos, parts lists, and diagnoses.

The manual is laid out into four major sections: Description, Powerflow, Diagnosis, and Reference.

Description is an 86-page section covering everything from applications, identification, and
    design to lubrication, venting, seals, synchros and shift mechanism. Included is a 20 page section
    on component support (!).

The Powerflow section contains 27 pages of explanation of the flow of power through the
    transmission; starting with shift mechanism movement, this section traces synchronizer movement,
    powerflow, and parts movement for every position of the shift lever, including neutral.

The Diagnosis section is a 15 page section using the typical "condition - probable cause -
    correction" charts common to the diagnoses sections in aftermarket & factory manuals. Included,
    however are some very good close-ups of worn part inspections.

Reference has 26 pages of the usual parts lists, torque specs, non-reusable parts lists, etc. One
    useful feature is the GM parts number for all the service parts in the transmission, including shims,
    seals, bushings, pins, plungers, springs, synchros, spacers, thrust washers, & lubricant.

Graphics throughout the manual are very good, using large B&W photos, line-art blow-ups, and 2-D & 3-D
    drawings tinted various shades of black, gray, and blue to highlight & delineate various details of the
    transmission (especially useful when trying to understand the powerflow section). One particularly helpful use
    of color in the graphics is a perspective sketch of the transmission with all the seal areas highlighted in blue.

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality & content of the manual. At about 3/8" thick, it contains all
    I'd ever need to know about the NV4500. It's a bargain at twice the price.

Jeff Layton 10 Jan 97
    For more information: Mascotech (800) 393-4831

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I bought 2 NV4500 manuals from:
    Transmission Digest / MD Publications
    PO BOx 2210
    Springfield, MO 65801-2210
    800-274-7890

Disassembly & assembly 17003.13-14 $10.00
    Operation & Diagnosis 17003.13-2 $15.00

8. jrsavoie

jrsavoie Registered Member

I just googled "NVG 4500 5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Technician Reference Manual". Found it at Amazon for about $10 shipped.

All because this thread came up in my search results

9. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

I have a PDF file for the dodge service manual for the nv4500.