Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 seal replacement.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Canadian Trailblazer, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

Does anyone have any experience or info changing the front and rear seals on a 1992 Chevy NV4500? The front looks easy, just unbolt the seal/bearing retainer. The rear frightens me with the whole "5th gear retaining nut" issue. The big nut isn't loose now, but if I start messing with it??? The problem is that there is a bit of reddish looking goo back there so I think it had a small leak in the past. It is a used tranny I just got. Any help/direction would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

according to my tranny guy the 5th gear nut is a dodge only problem. the dodge uses a different mainshaft and 5th gear retaining nut, lugging the diesel and high HP/TQ is what broke them

3. Canadian Trailblazer

Sounds good so far... Now how to do the rear???

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah front unbolt it, clean the surfaces, replace it and put the retainer back on with silicone. The rear, you mean the whole aluminum piece? That goes around the whole tranny, its leaking between the aluminum piece and the cast iron case? or the seal in the adapter? The adapter just comes right off, no problems with 5th gear. Pull the seal out and replace it, I dont think you even have to take off the adapter. But if you do take it off, just silicone when you put it back together.

5. Canadian Trailblazer

I got the tranny from a scrap yard by itself. There was some dried up fluid in bottom of the aluminum 5th gear housing where the t-case bolts up. I thought maybe a seal was leaking somewhere in there, but now I think that area is normally lubricated and the gasket between the t-case and the tranny keeps the fluid in. The stealership doesn't even list or show a seal in the back of the tranny. Does this sound right?

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Oh ok, there is a seal that goes in the back of the aluminim piece.