Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 shifting problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prairiegoat, Apr 1, 2007.

1. prairiegoat

prairiegoat Registered Member

Hey guys - I'm having some problems with a NV4500 in my '95 Tahoe. Seems that after I've driven it for awhile and it's good and heated up, I have a very difficult time getting it to shift into First and Second gear during stop & go driving. It has no probs otherwise, you think it could be full of 90 weight or similar, instead of the GM oil it's supposed to have? Or is this a clutch issue..
    Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I've driven it for probably 6 months now, and it's just started this problem as of late. Also, what size is the filler bolt on this trans? It seems to be about a 5/8 hex head???? I live far enough from a real parts store that I would prefer to get the right tool the first time! Figured the experts here would know a lot more than the 18 year old rice rocket fan working behind the counter!! Thanks ahead of time!

2. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

Are you sure its a NV4500, I didnt think they put them in tahoes? It might have the wrong oil in it, Ive got a 4500 in my 92 1-ton and ran the wrong oil in it for a while and it didnt shift very well. I heard that it messes up the bearings etc. The GM oil is #12346190 its 21.22 a quart. Amsoil also makes the same for about $10 a quart.

3. prairiegoat

Truthfully, now that I get to looking at it, I don't know what it is... It has an integral bellhousing, and definetly doesn't look like an NV4500. My bad. So what trans is it?? Wow, I really need to learn some more about these newer Chevys, or maybe I'll just get rid of it and stick with the older trucks! :wink1:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Getrag 3500(or NV3500 some call it). Junk IMO. Tried GM Syncromesh fluid? When we have shifting problems in the Mitsubishi Evos, Mitsu recommends we put in Syncromesh, ha.

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

NV4500 does NOT have an integral bell housing.

and a Getrag is not the same as a new venture.

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

This is my NV4500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ehh in quick searching some call it the NV3500, some call it the Getrag 3500, seems like there may have been a partnership for that trans, do not know.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Many folks get the two confused but NV3500 and Getrag are not the same .

Tom

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

NV or NVG (New Venture) is/was a partnership..........that has now been dissolved, between Chrysler and GM. Getrag is its own company. They make the G56 with is now the 6 speeds in the Ram trucks. After the NV5600 was dropped.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

having a hard time finding any info on the getrag trans or the NV3500 previous to about 02...

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I don't know about GM.....but Dodge used the NV3500/NV3550 in the 1500 rams throughout the 90s.

the whole joint venture thing puts virtually the same gearboxs in Dodges and Chevys. but maybe Gm didn't use the NV3500? I don't know.

12. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

Then you dont have a NV4500 you have a NV3500 my brother has one in his
    93 GMC 1/2 ton. Amsoil makes oil for it Synthetic Synchromesh transmission fluid 5w-30 $8.60 a quart.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

First off the lube for the NV4500 isn't something you can get from anywhere else but the GM or dodge dealer. Amsoil claims to make a lube for it but it doesn't meet the same standards and there is no guarantee it won't mess up the synchro's in the NV4500. The correct lube for the NV4500 is a GL4 which is actually an outdated spec...but needed by the NV4500. If you have a lube that says GL5 it shouldn't go into the NV4500.

I don't think the light duty 5 speed (Getrag or NV3500) gets 90 weight either. It seems to me it was a much lighter lube than that, although it's been a long time since I drained one and had it apart.

Secondly...why do you keep spamming this thread with references to Amsoil? :mad:

Rene

14. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

GL5 fluid in a GL4 transmission will eat soft parts(syncros). Mitsus require GL4 in most of their gear situations, I constantly have to fight with the parts department about stocking GL4 fluids...

So if you wanted you guys could run Mitsubishi trans fluid, haha. but I bet thats more expensive than GM fluid.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Autozone used to stock penzoil synchromesh under 10 a quart, compared to 20+ at dealer.

I didnt even know that the tahoe's were avlaaible in manual tranny's.

17. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

Manual tranny tahoe

The manual was an option on the 2 door models only and only behind gas motors not diesels. Your tahoe has the nv 3500. It is an integral bellhousing two piece case. They started with external slave cylinders and then converted to internal slaves around 96 I believe. I own a 95 with the external slave. Your clutch may not be fully releasing.

Here are some pics of mine and my solution to the same problem as you and bad synchros.

tahoe4.JPG

P1010023.JPG

NV 3500.JPG

P1010004.JPG

18. prairiegoat

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sorta getting the feeling I should swap in a NV4500 if some serious wheeling is planned.. Especially if the 454 plans come to fruition!!!

I chopped some fender and threw on some 35's for awhile, which the IFS didn't like very much. I think it may be time for a Dana 60 to find it's way under the front end!! :D :D

The money pit seems to be getting deeper and deeper.....

For now though, I think I'm just gonna fix the problem and drive it until something expensive explodes, then go from there!

19. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

Amsoil is the only place I know of to get oil for the NV4500 or 3500 other than the dealer. I am just telling what I have learned, I am not defending any company.