Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500, SM465, or 700R4?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Apr 11, 2002.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I thought I would ask this question here first for all you diesel gurus!

The 465 tranny in my '86 K-10 is making some awful noises, and I need to do something about it. I have 31" tires and 3.73 gears, so it winds up the motor quite a bit running down the highway. This truck sees little off-roading, so I'm looking for more streetable use here. My other truck is an automatic, so I'd like to keep this one a manual gear banger.
    My first choice would be to replace it with an NV4500. However, this would be rather expensive. It's hard to find one used, and it's about $1900 for a new/rebuilt one. Plus, it would be rather difficult to install, what with all the bellhousing differences.

Secondly, I already posses a 700R4 auto out of a 6.2L diesel powered 4WD truck. However, it's an '82 model, and I don't even know if it's any good. I bought a whole engine, tranny, and accessory package off a guy who was parting out a truck. He said it was good, but who really knows? He was going to a gasser, and I mainly bought the stuff for the engine. I'd hate to install it and not have it work. Rebuilding one isn't cheap either. This swap wouldn't be so difficult.

Thirdly, I could rebuild the 465. I would really, really like to have overdrive. But, this is a good, solid tranny, when it doesn't make noise that is. Rebuilding this one would probably be the cheapest route. And it will scoot down the road at 70 mph, I just hate to hear the motor wrapping up so much.

Any comments or suggestions?

Casey

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

What exactly are the bellhousing differences between a SM465 and a NV4500? Just curious.

I'd say go with a NV4500. Expensive yes, but the OD and low first gear gives you the best of both worlds.

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'd have to agree. If you want OD, and want to stick with a manual, an NV4500 is the best bet. You could always install a doubler after the T-case, but I don't know what's involved with the installation.

Save up for the NV4500, and hope the SM465 doesn't grenade before you've got the new tranny.