Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 swap into 90' V2500 burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broncoholics.com, Aug 26, 2005.

Okay gents, I'm getting ready to really step up my tow rig. The rig has a TBI350/TH400/NP241 as it sits and there isn't anything wrong with the tranny, but I really need some lower gearing since the 4.10s don't cut it with the 35s. I also just found a very good source for used NV4500s in good working order for $700 with no core charge. This is for either Dodge or GM cases when they have them. I have swapped a couple NV4500s into my CJ7, and another one into my Early Bronco, so I am very familar with the Dodge versions. Just not the GM versions.

The plan is to find a GM unit with bellhousing, bolt it to the 350, and bolt up the NP241 to it. The question I have is in regards to the spline count of my NP241 vs the GM NV4500. I think its a 32 spline, and I think that the GM NV4500 is the same. Can anyone confirm this? They should also share the same bolt pattern, correct?

So, all I would need is some 5.13s for the axles, a TBI350 flywheel, clutch kit, hydrolic clutch mechansism, and a clutch pedal assembly. I'm also pretty sure that the length of the setup may not even require new driveshafts. Anyone see an issue with this?

Scotty
    www.broncoholics.com

1. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

The Nv4500 and the 400 is the same length, so the drive shafts your drive shafts will be the same length, and the 241 (since in was behind the 400 ) is also the same splines, and same bolt pattern. It will slide right on to the tranny.
    I did the same thing to my crewcab, works great !
    Try to get a 97 -00 chevy tranny,, they have the internal slave cylinder on the clutch. I thought it made for a nicer set up .

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Internal slaves are a PITA. When it leaks, and it will, it'll be 10X the trouble to fix.

Rene

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

but honestly how often do they spring a leak? gives you an opportunity to inspect the clutch and rear main seal. maybe change the tranny and t case fluid.

ryan

4. tRustyK5

It's just tempting murphy's law IMO. Why not go with the earlier version with the external slave? Then if it does leak it's no big deal. I can check tranny fluid without dropping it from under the truck...and the clutch stuff should last damn near forever.

Rene

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

FWIW...

One local tow-truck company (Mundy's actually) stopped buying stick-shift Chevs after their first batch of internal slave trucks. They weren't even getting 10,000km per clutch. :(

6. tRustyK5

Looks good on them Kevin...bunch of thievin bastids anyways!

Rene