Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 swap into a first gen

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jerry303, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I was thinking about getting a different tranny than my current mechnical sm465. How hard would it be to swap a nv4500 into a first gen, and what does it require?

Thanks

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

NV4500 from a 88+ GM would work, its the same bolt pattern as the 6.2 diesel and the SBC- It does seem to be extremely long as compared to a 700R4, and it uses the NP241 clocked the other way (same as all the GM IFS 4wd trucks). That i think would be your only issue.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have one. It will fit, and only be 1" longer. I used the Advance Adapters 4500 to 205 kit.

I dont think the tranny will just bolt up beacuse of the input retainer. I switched to a hydraulic bellhousing, but you can get a mechanical one also.

Now the problems:
    They give you an adapter for the tranny top crosmember, but the mount on the adapter doesnt line up with the crosmember. The crossmember either needs to be moved back an inch or so take the adapter and make it work, like I did much easier, I can get you oics if youd like.
    I also remember the tranny sitting a different height, so youll have to mess around with that.
    I have a 1" body lift on my blazer and I couldnt get the adapter for the 4wd shifter to work out, it needed some fab work.
    The floor pan needs to be cut.
    Thats all I can remember at the moment.

Please let me know if you do this because I might have all my adapters for sale.

4. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

I did one in my 71K10, went from a 465/205 to the NV4500/205. My stock 465 has a 10 spline output while the NV4500 has a 32 spline output, so I had to change the input on the 205. The case had to be bored to accept the larger bearing and new 32 spline input shaft. This is the same shaft used on 205's that were used behind TH400's, so if you can find the right 205 you'll be $ ahead. I also used the late model bell housing with a hydraulic clutch. With this set up the clutch slave is on the passenger side of the vehicle, and hangs down so it could hit the front driveshaft, this picture shows the area of the clutch. I'm running a 6" lift so I had plenty of clearance. The rest is adapters and making it fit. I didn't have any problems with angles or sheetmetal, all went in easy, but I was working on a stripped chassis.

[​IMG]

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

I fergot to say something abhout the input. you don thave to change the input, theres a 32 spine to 10 coupler in the kit, yes it would be stronger, but the 465/205 has a coulper too.

Howd you get awat with not having to cut the floor for the shifter? I had a 465/205 in mine before, and the shifter on the 4500 is a ways further back.

6. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Howd you get awat with not having to cut the floor for the shifter? I had a 465/205 in mine before, and the shifter on the 4500 is a ways further back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did change the tunnel cover. Got one that was from a BB 2wd, and cut the holes where I wanted them. If you use the same cover you would have to relocate and weld some up.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

Oh I see.
    I made a template of the original hole, then marked how far back I needed the new hole, cut it out, then took the piece I cut out, and put it at the front of the stock shifter hole, welded it it, since the curve was the same, it fit perfect! If that makes any sense?