Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Mar 21, 2004.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to pull out my 350 tranny and swap in a NV4500. Do i need to find a bellhousing for a nv4500, or will a bellhousing from a sm465 work? Also, will I need to run a hyrdo clutch with that versus a mechanical? and lastly, will I need a np241 transfer case, or will my 208 work with the nv4500? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I guess i should also mention that my rig is an 84 K5. It came factory with a 4 speed, but somebody before me yanked that out and put in a 350 with a floor shifter. I hate it.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont think you can use the same adapter- I believe the holes are different.

Check out adavanced adapters.

in terms of the clutch,the standard clutch that came with the nv4500 was hydro.

in terms of the transfer case, the 241 used in any of the GM applications was clocked toward the other side (for IFS). There might be a spline input/output difference.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I mocked up a SM465 bell to the NV4500 core I have and it wasn't anywhere close to working. There was at least one hole that was so far off it was ridiculous.

The 208 should bolt up just fine, as long as it has the 32 spline input. The adaptor on the NV4500 is the same generic 6 hole adaptor as the 700R-4/208 and 700R-4/241 adaptors. The fact the 241 found behind the NV4500 is a drivers side drop doesn't mean much except for possible front driveline interference if you use the factory bell. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a factory NV4500 bell and look into that aspect yet...but I will soon. It may be a non-issue, or what I've heard may be correct. If there is interference between the front driveline and the clutch slave mechanism I'll have to buy the bell from Advance Adaptors.

Rene

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The GM bellhousing had the slave on the passengers side, your driveshaft might not clear it, of coures if you running a BIG LIFT! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif then its not a problm. Later bellhousings have the intergal slave. You can get mechanical bellhousing form AA.

Isnt the bolt patterns for 208s and 241s the same? 32 spline intput, i think itll just bolt up.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Problem I see is the NP208 that fits a TH350 is 27-spline. You need a 32-spline t-case (or input gear) for the NV4500.

The other "cheat" for running a NV4500, is to use a Dodge input shaft (for a 360 - not a Cummins or V10). Its about 1" longer and the same spline so you can make yourself an adapter plate and mate it to the SM465 bellhousing. The input was $130 CDN last time I priced one. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wonder if GM still has 32 spline inputs for the 208? The 465/208 was a 32 spline unit.

Rene