Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Buzz, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

Anyone have a write-up or a good place to view conversion details. I pretty much need it all so any help would be useful

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What year truck? What year tranny? What t case? I can help you out.

3. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

well, my truck is an 89 k5. I am looking around for a tranny so i don't know what year yet. I know i want to go with a manual this time, for reliability and control, etc... I know the 465 swap would be easier but i want the OD that comes with the 4500. I know with the 4500 that I will need to fab a new crossmember but I doubt that can be very hard. thanks

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

Well a 4500 isnt much harder to swap in then a 465, the hardest part will most liekly be the pedal setup.

Lets start with the tranny:
    93-94 GM ONLY has the 6.31 first gear and a .73 OD
    95-03 GM and Dodge has a 5.61 first gear and a .73 OD

Then there are 2wd and 4wd versons.
    GM 32 slpine 2wd output shaft
    GM 32 spline 4wd output shaft
    Dodge 23 spline 4wd output shaft
    Dodge 29 spline 4wd output shaft
    Dodge 30 spline 2wd output shaft
    Dodge 31 spline 2wd output shaft

Im assuming you will use a 205? Advance adapters makes a kit to mate it to a 205.

205 originally mated to a th350, in 71-79 vehicles, Male 27 spline input, figure 8 bolt pattern.
    205 originally mated to a 465, in 71 to 84/85 vehicles, 10 spline input, figure 8 bolt pattern.
    205 originally mated to a th400, 79 to 84/85 vehicles, female 32 spline input, figure 8 bolt pattern.
    205 originally mated to a 465 or 400, in 85-91 vehicles, female 32 spline input, circular 6 bolt pattern.

Now what ever t case you pick, theres different options to mate them together.

For a 4500 replacing a 465 the overall length is 26.250", approx. 1" longer.
    For a 4500 replacing a th350 the overall length is 26.750"

AA gives you all the adapters to make it work, however mine needed some modification. The tranny x member was an inch or so to the rear. they give you and adapter, but it wouldnt work. I could have either drilled new holes for the crossmember or, fab a different adapter mount, which is what I did. Also I had troubles with the t case shifter adapter. This was in a 72.

Hope this helped a little, anyhitng else and Id be glad ot help.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 1/2 ton status Premium Member

nice information.....

dont forget if you have a automatic now.. and wanna go manual...
    you have to buy the clutch pedal assembly...

that is all that wasnt covered above.... so what do you need for a nv4500 on the clutch side?

gonna need a flywheel ($120 new)
    clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing ($130 autozone new lifetime warr)

Bellhousing?????? which one.. will a smc465 bell work?

hydraulic or manual clutch style?

I just went to hydraulic clutch... so is it the same bellhousing? I thought I read something where the clutch fork is on the opposite side (passenger side) so I dunno...

I do still have the clutch pedal assembly for a mechanical clutch setup.. I have the bellhousing, clutchfork (new), zbar, spring.....

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Hmm...so, theoretically, you could adapt a GM 32 spline female NP205 to a GM version, and a Ford 31 spline to a Dodge 2wd, assuming you cut off the yoke. Is this feasible?

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

No it wont
    YOu can get a stock GM bellhousing found in 93-95 GM trucks, but they have the slave on the passenger side, which might be a problem with low lift vehicles.

Theres also the stock GM bellhousing used in 96 and newer GM trucks, but they have an internal slave.

Or a Advance Adapters bellhousing, they have a few different ones.

Or they make adapter plates, which I wouldnt use.

Yes, if it has the circular bolt pattern. You have to add a spacer for the extra length on th einput. OR change out to the short version input.

8. gauder

gauder Banned

You could use a 32spline np 241c trans case though couldn't you?

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

iirc, the NP241 did come behind the NV4500 OEM.

10. mitchelm

mitchelm Registered Member

How hard would it be to swap an nv4500 into a 72 blazer that came with a 3 speed

saginaw that is a 27 spline male output? I obviously have to replace my manual with something else, and if I'm going to spend the money, the NV4500 sounds like a very nice option. Would the adapter from the auto350 work since that is also 27 spline?

11. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i have a 85 that i am converting from a auto to a nv 4500

i have the pedals out of a 87 installed
    and i have a 94 nv 4500 with the bellhousing,flywheel,clutch,slave and master basically flywheel to the transfercase

i have a 89 241 t-case from a 400 tranny (89 suburban pass side drop)

or a 87 208 t-case from a 465

my questions are

what do i have to do to cross breed the hydrolic clutch parts cut and splice the hard lines together?

and witch t-case would be best to use?

its only a daily driver pavment pounder so i don't need the strength of a 205

it has a 6'' lift so i don't think i will have problems with the pass side slave

thanks for any advice

12. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have one in my 80 K25 which is lifted 6", it is a 93 trans with the external passenger side slave cylinder. At normal ride height I have only got about 3" of clearance between the slave cylinder and the front driveshaft. I could definitely see it causing some problems even on a truck with 6" of lift that is actually used offroad.

Dunno if it was mentioned or not (didn't read the whole thread), but you can bolt either a 32 spline NP208 or NP241 onto the back of it with no adapters or spacers. The thing also bolts directly into place of a 32 spline SM465, you can use the 465's crossmember, and the driveshafts if you run a 208 or 241.

I'd personally go with an internal slave trans if I were to do it again, just to get rid of the clearance issues. If you need any help with the clutch, please let me know and I can pass on a few ideas.

14. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

thanks guys the links are some good reading

Russell
    how did you connect the master and slave cut and splice the 93 and 85 lines together?

i was thinking the 241 or the 208 would bolt up but i wasn't sure

my thoughts are to run the 208 but is there any reason to run the 241 over the 208?

i have a 83 blazer with 1 ton drive train and a 427 lockers and 38 inch swampers that i beat on i don't need another off road truck

my plan for this truck is a fuel injected 350 nv4500 reliable low maintanance good looking daily driver pavment pounder i should be ok with the low drive shaft slave clearance
    i'm not even sure it will get a front drive shaft for awhile

i started with a bare frame so i can build it the way i want it
    i have plenty of 81 to 91 trucks and blazers to pick threw for my parts

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck Premium Member

I have a '97 internal slave GM NV4500 F/S if anyones interested.......nothing to see here, don't mind me, go on about your business.

16. bww3588

bww3588 Registered Member

whats wrong with the internal slave? you make it sound like a bad thing? what master cylinder do you have to run....im really wanting to pull the trigger on this swap, but damn are the 4500's expensive. this is pushin t56 price territory...

17. bww3588

btw, i have an 89 K5 i want to do this swap in. i currently have a 700R4 behind a beat TBI 350. i have a carb'd 350 waiting to go in, and really dont want to push my luck on the 700.

18. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

His reply was over 5 years ago, but if he was still around he probably say that the internal slaves require removing the trans when it goes bad, and some people say they do go bad fairly often. I've also heard that when they go bad, they can take out the input shaft and other parts along with them.

19. bww3588

i know you have to remove the tranny to get to the slave...why do they go bad? ive never had one go bad in my LS1 Z28 and if it does, its only after years of beating the piss out of it at the track. i dont plan to take this to the limit off road, but i do want to be able to drive it everyday and occasionally take it back in the fields and mess around.

20. bww3588

define fairly often. lol