Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 to NP205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DieselDan, Oct 24, 2001.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK who has a NV4500 connected to NP205? What is needed to mate the two? Is the only option to use the round pattern, 32 spline NP205? (Figures I got the figure 8 NP205). I believe AA make an adapter for the figure 8 style, but $500. is a little pricey (on top of the NV4500).

TIA

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't recall the NV4500 ever coming from any of the truck makers in front of an NP205. This means that you're pretty much at the mercy of the custom adapter makers. [​IMG] I noticed that Summit Racing now carries some Advance Adapters. Perhaps they can get you a better price on the Adapter you need. They're at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.summitracing.com>www.summitracing.com</a>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, there was a guy here that would sell custom made (so he said) adapters for an NV4500 to NP205..not sure if you had to modify the 205 if it wasn't the TH400 one, or if that was part of the adapter as well, but I recall him saying that his $300 adapter didn't require you to remove the balancer, which apparently the AA piece does. I've heard bad things about worn output shaft(?) splines after removing the balancer.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just completed this conversion myself. I used a '98 NV4500 from a Chevy. I decided to go with a Hydraulic clutch setup for a '98 that is a internal slave/throwout bearing combo. I had to have some custom lines made to connect the slave to the master cylinders, but it is fairly easy to do. I used a New GM Bellhousing for a '98 and Dodge 4WD Tailhousing. Then all I did was purchase the adaptor, a seal, and a shifter bracket from AA for a little over $200.00. PM me and I will try and get you all the numbers that I purchased.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Re: NV4500 to NP205 *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by blazer72

6. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes I will have to admit I had a great deal of help, but thats why I am offering to help too. Like Ken says most of the parts you need you can get from GM for a better price. There is only a few AA parts that you really need.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!

7. dyeager535

Heres someone elses site with the NV4500/NP05 swap..think I got the link off of here awhile back.
    www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Which 205 case do you have? I bolted my 205 to the NV4500 with $35 of machining. If you use the newer 205 with the round bolt pattern this is really easy. There are two inputs gears for this 205. The short one will bolt right up to the NV4500 if you machine a notch for the shift rails. The long input gear will require a short 2" spacer and a notch machined into the tailhousing of the NV4500. The input gears can be swapped to allow a short simple set up. If you have the figure eight 205 you will need an adapter.

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

OOPPPPSS, missed the figure 8 pattern. The only bolt up of those two that I've seen is the AA plate.

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

First, thanks all who replied. This list is great! 'Not really sure which way I'll go yet. Time to start searching again. At least of got some options. Already spent time and money rebuilding my NP205, but later style might be the way to go.

Hey prjkt'72, what tailhousing was on the NV4500 you used, 241?
    Thanks Dorian for the links, did you notice he had to clearance the AA adapter for the trans?

Gotta find a good NV4500 first, then......

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

11. dyeager535

No problem. Did you search the archives on this board? I know I had talked to someone about the NV4500 and that spline wear/AA issue, it was kind of informative to me. I think if I came across an NV4500 for a good price, I'd see what I could do about keeping the balancer. ONLY thing I didn't like about the whole swap.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>