Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 verification

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 22, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I searched some, and to my knowledge, I'm assuming that an NV4500 a friend of mine picked up out of a '92 Chevy has the 32 spline output. It also has a T-case adapter on it with a round 6-bolt pattern (that came with the tranny). He thinks it will bolt up to his 1988 TH400 version NP205. Is that correct?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The '88 NP205 will have a 32-spline long input. I believe the trans output will bottom out in the t-case input before the trans & t-case meet. Probably need to look into shortening the output shaft, or design a spacer. You'd also need to clearance the 6-bolt flange on the tranny for the shift rails of the NP205.

3. mountainexplorer

I looked at it and the end of the tranny output shaft appears to sit flush with the end of the adapter where it would bolt to the T-case. NV4500s in GM trucks were in front of NP241s from the factory was it?

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

They did come with the NP241. However, that t-case has a shorter input shaft.

If you can swap in a "short" 32-spline input shaft from an 80-84 NP205 (TH400 application) it should work. Still have to notch the tranny flange for the shift rails (and make a shifter bracket).

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

U2slow is correct on the needed notches to clear the 205 shifter rails.

About the 4500 output shaft bottoming out: Advanced Aadaptors sells a spacer ring for this problem (when using a round pattern 205). The spacer ring method w/round 205 may actually provide a bit more spline engagement, as compared with a short input/hourglass 205. I'm not sure. I can tell you that the newer type 205 appears to have more input spline depth than the older "short" type.

The original Advanced Adaptor kit (p/n 50-0206, released about 1995) to mate a 205 (older type short 32 spline/hourglass) to a 4500 requires you to cut off 5/8 inch from the 4500 output even WITH the short input shaft, and 1" thick main adaptor plate. The resulting engagement with this early kit was only about 1.25 inches! This kit may not be available anymore.

Advanced Adaptors may also offer the 205 shifter bracket.

The 205 shifter bracket which I got from them a few years ago bolts to the top of the 4500 case, and was flimsy. I had to beef it up a lot before it felt solid.

I have pictures of both the notches, and the beef-up of the
    shifter bracket. PM me and I'll email them to you. Not sure how to post photos here in forum. (maybe someone can clue me in)

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The original Advanced Adaptor kit (p/n 50-0206, released about 1995) to mate a 205 (older type short 32 spline/hourglass) to a 4500 requires you to cut off 5/8 inch from the 4500 output even WITH the short input shaft, and 1" thick main adaptor plate. The resulting engagement with this early kit was only about 1.25 inches! This kit may not be available anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, like $700, IIRC

7. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Swap the input gear for the Tcase as u2slow suggested. Use the short style 32 spline input on the tcase, notch the trans output housing and bolt the thing together. AA wants to much money for a custom part that you do not need. You will need to make/buy a bracket to bolt the tcase shifter to but this is not a big deal. You can use the trans mount and a boss on the transmission that can be drilled and tapped for this purpose.
    Mike

8. mountainexplorer

Had to dig up an old question I had, now that I just got a hold of an NV4500 myself.

I've heard that the '80-'84 32 spline 400 version 205 still has a figure 8 bolt pattern on it, verses the '85 and newer 205 which has a round pattern.

I have an '87 32 spline NP205, and might be able to get a hold of an '80 32 spline 205.

As far as the shifter goes... what all can I use from my '87 400/205 setup on the NV4500/205 in order to mount the shifter?

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

maybe any of these will help possibly:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/update.html
    http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/transfercases.html
    http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/3104/index1.html

http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1086378/Main/1079426

http://www.shakerbuilt.com/Blazer.html

intercoolers site post: Posted by: dcamilleri

I used a late model 205 gm case (round bolt pattern) and originally used 32 spline turbo 400 input gear, it bolted right up to the back of gm nvg 4500 with only some clearancing for the shift rail. Problem was I ate the splines off, twice in 15,000 miles. I am now running a full splined dodge shaft with the male dodge input gear and coupler (1 1/2 29 spline) I think part of the problem with the gm shaft is that it is long and doesn't splash much oil on the splines and they erode. I hope it is fixed now.

Posted by: dcamilleri

Dodge transfer case uses same bolt circle but the indexing is different. If you use a gm transmission(nvg 4500) just use the dodge tail housing. My swap would have been a lot easier if I could have found a Dodge transfer case to start with. Also watch out for transfer cases from an automatic since they use a 23 spline shaft, you would have to change the input shaft and coupler.

Posted by: dcamilleri

my chevy tail housing does not have a provision for a seal in it, but the housing is 2+ inches longer than the Dodge tail housing. I was also overfilling with an extra quart of oil and that didn't seem to help either. I still think that the main problem was that the splines were not getting splash lubed from 5th gear since they were further away. BTW when I originally assembled my trans to transfer case I left the splines dry. I failed the splines within 4000 miles. 2nd time I greased the heck out of the splines and they lasted 15,000 miles. If I had my choice I would seal both sides of the shaft and then fill the cavity with same type lube as transmission and I am confident the problem would go away.

10. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

Did the first style dodge cummins trucks come with a nv4500-205 combo in them factory with the right hand drop? I have a buddy thinking about this swap in his rig right now. I would like to find a way to do it and save some cash.

11. mountainexplorer

I think the early 90's Dodge trucks had Getrag 5 speeds with a... something transfer case... not a 205 but I don't know for sure what T-case they were, but they were passenger side drop.

12. mountainexplorer

I finally pulled my '87 TH400 version 205 out of the plow truck, and now I'm seeing what everyone is talking about. Once I separated the tranny form the T-case, I saw that extremely long female input shaft from the 205.

Now, I have to scheme on how to make a spacer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]