Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500 with doubler?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 24, 2000.

I am installing a nv4500, and have a 203 i can use for the gearcase. Is there a kit to use the doubler and a nv4500?
    Thanks.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you can find a NV4500/NP203 adapter, then it will work. The 205 bolts to the 203. The 203 is the only part that bolts to the trans. This sounds like a goos setup, 15 foward speeds and 3 reverse in 4wd!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Advance makes one but I think ORD can make you a better one atlest that what Steve told me when we got mine.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the NV4500 and did you have to mortgage the house?
    -- Mike

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I payed 1850 for the 4500 with the dodge 1st and 2nd gears, ( there lower than the chevy ones) the adapter list for about 200 but it was the 1st one made and was made poorly! so advanve cut the price. I used the cheve bellhousing and cluch bearing. The doubler is the 400 varent.

Ken

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Here's the details, Ken has the 1st 4500 to 203 adapter, they've ironed out some details since then but his still worked out pretty well. It goes really slow.
    You need:
    NV4500 trans with GM 32 spline output shaft (4wd) and a Dodge tailhousing
    NP203 gearbox with a 32 spline input gear (TH400 application or swapped in input gear works too)
    Adapter kit. We don't make it, we sell Advance's kit. it's about $300
    The only drawback is the length of the setup. I'm not sure what it is, but it's on the long side. The Gen2 Doubler will help that by a few inches. You might have some fabrication involved with the shifter, we don't have a mounting bracket for it, but it's not too hard to come up with something.
    That's about it.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Its 54 inches from the bellhousing to the output yoke center. And yes it is very long very long and tips the scale at some thing like 500 or 550 LBS plus it hold 11.5qt, of that costly lube that the 4500 needs (18.00 QT). The rear drive shaft is all of 23.5 inches long AND IT WAS WORTH EVER PENNY SPENT EVERY NIGHT SPENT WONDERING AND EVERY DAY SPENT ON THE PHONE WITH ORD!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

7. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

I have what may be a dumb question..... i have an 89 jimmy all stock except for the lift...... im not into real heavy wheelin ... just weekend stuff in the woods lookin for mud holes ....... I looked up my ecm/prom in mitchell-on-demand (computer data base for repair shops) and it said that i have 2.73's. now thats just plain crazy........... what i was wondering could i put a doubler and by-pass the need to swap gear ratios or do i need to do both gears and doubler?

Bigger is Better [​IMG]
    Channing74

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The Gen2 will be 3.5" shorter than Ken's for a total of about 50 inches give or take a little. Still pretty long, but not too terrible.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

9. I have already done the NV4500 doubler set up. I'm running it in my 1986 K10 SWB. I ended up cutting my floorboard out from the dash to the back of the cab. I reused some of the sheet metal from the tunnel from the dash back to the seat. This is a big setup!!! (I beleive I'm the second to do it)

I did purchase the adaptor plates from AA. You will also need a different bell housing if it's going on a straight front axled vehicle with the passenger side driveshaft. The stock bell housing passenger slave cylinder interferes with the front driveshaft.

As for the NV4500 gear ratios:
    1 2 3 4 5
    6.34 3.44 1.71 1.00 .73 GM, '92-94
    5.61 3.04 1.67 1.00 .75 Chrysler,GM-'95up

Now you can take the 3rd gears (main/counter) off the late model GMs and swap it out in a early model GM and end up with the 6.34 3.44 1.90 1.00 .73 ratios.

This is what I have done. You get a great low setup.

I got the TH400 rods from ORD for the dual shifters. I had to cut down the rods and re-tap the ends. I also had to modify the pivot point bracket to fit on the dodgetailhousing.

If you'd like to know more just give me a shout. (Beleive me there is more!!!)

10. I have already done the NV4500 doubler set up. I'm running it in my 1986 K10 SWB. I ended up cutting my floorboard out from the dash to the back of the cab. I reused some of the sheet metal from the tunnel from the dash back to the seat. This is a big setup!!! (I beleive I'm the second to do it)

I did purchase the adaptor plates from AA. You will also need a different bell housing if it's going on a straight front axled vehicle with the passenger side driveshaft. The stock bell housing passenger slave cylinder interferes with the front driveshaft.

As for the NV4500 gear ratios:
    1 2 3 4 5
    6.34 3.44 1.71 1.00 .73 GM, '92-94
    5.61 3.04 1.67 1.00 .75 Chrysler,GM-'95up

Now you can take the 3rd gears (main/counter) off the late model GMs and swap it out in a early model GM and end up with the 6.34 3.44 1.90 1.00 .73 ratios.

This is what I have done. You get a great low setup.

I got the TH400 rods from ORD for the dual shifters. I had to cut down the rods and re-tap the ends. I also had to modify the pivot point bracket to fit on the dodgetailhousing.

If you'd like to know more just give me a shout. (Beleive me there is more!!!)

Sorry about posting this twice. Thought I put it out there right the first time.

Tim Wolberg

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Your better off to use the 96 and up trany and bellhouseing which uses a hydro release bearing. This way you don’t have any problems with the release arm and the front drive shaft. Also using a hydro release does away with any linkage problem do to frame/body flex. There are some tricks to this with a few walls to remove. Some depended on what motor you are using. I used a 400 sb so I could not use a 4500 flywheel( yes the 4500 uses it own flywheel, remember THIS IS NOT A GM TRANY its made by New Venture Gear which used to be New Process Gear which was owned by Dodge).

But this can be over come as can the problems with the floor which is more a problem off the doubler than the 4500,(a 1 inch body lift) In short the parts are
    96 and up bell housing. 185.00
    GM hydro release bearing 90.00
    For block 86 and up use the 4500 fly wheel 200.00
    Newer SB or BB use a Hayes flywheel 200.00
    GM NV 4500 1500 to 1995
    Dodge tail housing 50.00
    Advance adapter 4500 to 203 300.00
    NV4500 Shift Handle for GM 50.00
    Advance Adapter T-case shifter
    Relocate bracket for the 4500 50.00

The above will get you to the back of the 4500 with a very small amount of problems or parts to make There is a rear trany mount on the 4500 tail housing which I used with a 2 X 2 spacer drilled on one side to fit the 4500 the other to fit the stock GM cross member by using that mount the trany stay’s put and the doubler can be put in or pulled out in one piece with out losing trany oil!!!

Ken