Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV4500

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I want to swap m th350 for a nv4500. I was planing on trying to find the tranny out of a wrecked vehicle and then getting the adapters i need from advance adapters. I have heard the advance adapters kit sucks because of the removal of a balancer or something like that. Too much vibration and noise. Anyone used them with these results? How bad is it and what does it do to the rest of your drive line? What trucks should i look for the tranny out of. I dont want to have to use a 700r4 instead so let me know. I like the idea of having a granny gear and an overdrive in the same tranny. Besides manual trannys are more fun. Thanks for any info.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sparky with all the cost and time associated, depending on how desperate you are to get OD, you could consider the Gear Vendors unit. My dad has it, and I really don't like it, since the OD isn't enough (.76 I believe, compared to .70 for the 700) and the cost is steep. There is a guy locally that makes his own NV4500 to NP205 adapters, but they are like $350, PLUS (and I forgot this on the other post) you have to have the NP205 machined out to the TH400 specs for the input shaft, if the 205 isn't from a TH400 truck. Theres another post about this where this was gone over, and the balancer removal the Advance adapters requires you to remove sounds like a VERY bad idea.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I looked at the Gear Venders unit, but all that gives me is a overdrive and some gears between my current ones. Not only that, but there is a problem with length, blazers, and the gear venders unit. In order to get the low range I want i would have to do a ORD doubler or something like that. Also, I have an NP203 not a 205. How does this change things? As I see it the nv4500 gives me the the most bang for my buck. I get the low range of the 5.61:1 1st gear and the .75 overdrive. Not to mention the strength. I dont have to mess with the lock up converter on a 700r or the weaknesses of the 700. Plust the gas mileage of a manual is a little better than even the 700 if you drive right.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert on this, but from what I've read the Heepers have driven demand for NV4500's through the roof, therefore the prices for them has gone through the roof. Just like Dana 60's... I'd love to throw a NV4500 into my K5, because I like shifting for myself (and I need the overdrive), but I can't afford the cost of such a swap.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!