Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nv4500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrhoes, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 92 Chevy 1 ton and it seams like it doesnt like to shift very fast, I know it is a truck transmission and not meant to be a race car transmission, I drove my brothers 90 1/2 ton GMC with a 305 and a NV3500 and it would spank my trucks a**. Please anyone out there with one I would like to hear your opinion!

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Sounds about right ...... I have time to sip coffee between shifts with my NVG-5600 and the 4500 ain't much faster. HD tranny's have never been known for speed shifting.
    Tom

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dunno about sipping coffee, but generally enough time to change a track on the CD without much problem. :p:

Its a great tranny, if you dont like it, someone will pay you money to swap it out for an auto.

4. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

maybe you could change to a thinner oil?

or you could take my th700 for it :)

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a buddy with a 1992 Dodge Ram 1/2ton 2wd with a 4500 behind a 318. Shifts incredibly fast!

Is your vehicle a small block or a big block? We have a 4500 in a '98 GMC C3500 and it shifts slow mainly due to the slow revving Vortec 454. A revvy motor makes a big difference.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I didnt know dodge put the 4500 in the 1/2 tons in those years. I knew they came with the cummins motor though..

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

He thinks the PO swapped the 4500 in to his short bed reg. cab 1/2 ton. He also relizes that it wasn't an option to his or my knowledge. He just had some internal work done to it by a local reputable manual trans only shop and were also suprised to find a 4500 under his 1/2 ton.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont think it shifts that slow. A lot faster, and shorter then my 465. You have to remember they arent race trannies.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeh those shift slow but it has as much to do with how long the throws are as how slow it shifts B&M or someone similar makes a shifter for the nv4500 to shorten up the throws which basically makes it shift quicker but be warned where I used to work we had a 4500 in a chev and we always shifted that thing brutally fast like force it fast and they had to replace the syncros or some such thing in 3 years