Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NWMP 37-Gallon Tank is HERE!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Just wanted to let you guys know that the NWMP tank I ordered for my '72 K5 has arrived!.....I only ordered it last Thursday. It sounded like they carry the 1st Gen Tanks as an "in-stock" item....which is amazing.

I paid the extra $10 for packaging to keep the scratches and dents to a minimum. Although they did not put any protective padding around the tank (peanuts, bubble-wrap, etc), they did wrap the ENTIRE tank in cardboard and they even made up little protective sleeves for all the fittings so they wouldn't get bent or broken. I have to say, that someone spent probably an hour getting this thing ready for shipment, and it DID arrive in very good shape.

I think I will be getting my ORD front shackles and greaseable bushings today......rear shackle-flip sometime next week (backlog of orders on THAT one!) So that gives me about a week to burn through what's left of the gas in my tank......at around 7MPG that shouldn't take long! [​IMG]

I'll be sure to take pics as I go and post them in my CK5 homepage.

-Greg72

2. lomboy

lomboy Registered Member

NWMP Tank

Greg,
    I know this is an old thread... really old thread :eek1:, but I'm looking to replace the gas tank in my 72 Jimmy with the 37 gallon NWMP tank. Is it stainless steel? Was it a direct bolt in or did you have to do some drilling? Thanks in advance.

3. ashman

ashman It's not a bronco Premium Member GMOTM Winner

only 11 years old, thats not that bad. LOL

4. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You know, I was reading this thinking, why is Greg talking about front shackles and rear shackle flips and....what the f.....oh.

5. Z71paramedic

Z71paramedic Wait....What??? Premium Member GMOTM Winner

x2

This might be the ultimate :zombie15: thread...

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I was thinking isn't greg's rig still in garage ornament status??

But I am interested in the tank info also. I need to get a replacement tank that is TBI compatible sometime.

7. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hell he might not even be subscribed to this thread anymore. if he dont answer you might have to pm him.

8. lomboy

lomboy Registered Member

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm probably just going to order it and see how it goes. Most of what I've found searching around hints to the fact that goes right in. If I get it, I'll try and document the steps and share with everyone.

9. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is not stainless. It is steel. Here are some pics I have when I put mine in. I was able to drive to factory and pick it up - great group of people over there!

It goes "right" in. This first picture is how it sits if you are staring at the side of your rig and your driver door is on the left. Although it is quite a bit of fun getting the metal fuel filler (with duct tape) over the top of the frame with the angle iron plate meant to rest against the bottom of the frame rail. It took my cousin & I at least 90 minutes getting that ****in' thing in.

Notice how nice the black paint is at beginning vs. after installed :doah:

Only complaint I had was the mounting straps. If you look close in the last few pics you can see them. They are adequate - but don't look very good.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lomboy

lomboy Registered Member

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for! So it's held up entirely by the straps? No bolting to the frame? Doesn't look like a 1 man job as I was hoping for, but the pics are great. Are you using the vent tubes that go to the fuel separator / container next to the fill tube or did you just cap that off?

11. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes - it is held up entirely by those two straps. The straps use existing holes in the frame and are bolted to the frame with long 3/8-16 bolts.

Installation is very simple with 9/16 wrenches & screwdrivers for the rubber hose clamps. I believe I had to cut some of the old rubber and replace it with the new supplied rubber from the tank kit. It has been 8 years since I installed it, so I can't recall verbatim.

You might be able to install with one person - but I would not recommend it. My cousin and I were cussing life getting that thing in.

I used all the vent tubes - it is identical to the stock blazer tank - so everything has a place.

12. Greg72

Jurassic thread!

That tank is long gone... I'll do something custom when my truck is about 1000 hours closer to completion. Check out Burt4x4's posts, he's been ruining this tank for years.

:usaflag:

13. NorCal69

NorCal69 Professional Nail Bender Premium Member

Huh....5 years..:whistle:

:tongue1: :D

14. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Ditto IGOR's comments. My 35 gallon NWMP tank has been in about 10 years. No problems with the tank. I gave it a coat of epoxy paint before installing. Also added some pieces of hard plastic sheeting between frame and tank bracket (same stuff in leaf springs).

Just my experience....
    I put it in by myself. Get a chunk of hard plastic (teflon is ideal) sheeting to place between filler neck and frame when getting it into place (very tight operation). A supporting piece of 3/4 plywood bolted to floor jack works well for placement. A ratchet strap around tank and plywood is good.

I recently had to replace the hoses (I was smelling gas fumes, one was cracked), so had to drop the tank to do a remove and replace. I made hoses (use BEST available) plenty long so dropping the tank much easier. I did not like the sheet metal screw attachment of the top plate, so tapped the holes 6-32NC and used stainless machine screws with blue thd locker. As I recall, I also upgraded the provided gasket material from ordinary cork, to a better grade of cork based matl.

Way back when I installed it, I took extra time to make the receiver hitch nuts captive to inner frame rails (welded nuts to a bracket). Since the hitch must be removed to service the top hoses, it made the R and R job that much easier and faster.

The long exposed threads on strap bolts were rusted after 10 years, but wire brush and some PB made for easy removal.

Am using external pump (Mallory 4060FI) on frame rail so I have no experience w/ in tank pump.

15. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had no idea what this thread was talking about (at first) shackle flip for a linked truck:confused: That tank looks just like mine and the storage/extra mileage is great BUT I cringe every time I have to fill it, in the way back $80 used to hurt, now $160 is the norm:doah:

16. Greg72

Well let's see....so far this year I've had 16 hours in the shop (2 days), so unless things improve, I will be ready for my gas tank installation in about:

62.5 years!!

Not bad... I'll be just a touch over 100 years old :rolleyes: Moab will probably be a strip-mall by then....

:haha:

17. Z71paramedic

Z71paramedic Wait....What??? Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't worry, modern medicine has come so far...:rolleyes:

You'll get her going again soon enough, and before you know it that little boy of yours is gonna be out there helping to fab up more cool chit anyways:thumb: