Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ny starter is screwing up again

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Nov 6, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have a month old life time starter from napa. it has started acting up. when i hit the starter button (no key) it sounds like someone is hitting the flywheel. its not grinding. its shimmed right. some times it drags like the battery is dying but its not. it acts like the motors hung. i do have headers could this be one of the cases where the headers are affecting the solenoid. i think they call it heat saturation.

thanks
    69K5
    nathan

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Probably the headers had this problem on a pretty hot street car I used to have with headers, I went through a few starters. Anyway you'll probably have to replace the starter or solenoid again but next time buy a heat sheild from summit or jegs or make your own.

Some guys use a remote mount solenoid from a ford that seems to help with the problem too.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

yours lasted 1 month! I wish I could get mine to last that long.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear about yours. i found my problem. the head (bell?) was cracked. they said it was my fault It ran fine for the past month then yesterday it started acting up. after some fussing they replaced it b/c of the unlimited lifetime gaurantee. its still dragging like the battery is dying though. i'll check the alternator tonight.

thanks for the ideas though. nathan

5. st08x

st08x Registered Member

yea i had that same problem with my starter. next time u put one in there, wrap the solenoid with some heat shield tape, it might help your starter last for a little longer.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

im gonna have to try that and maybe relocate the solenoid like i saw in another post. cause i can crank the truck cold and its fine but if i drive to the store 4 miles she starts giving trouble starting. i will run by autozone and see if they have some tape.

thanks for the idea

nathan