Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NYS trailer registration...???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kgillyk5, Apr 10, 2007.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Maybe someone has this # in their head, or I could just pick up the phone and call DMV but since I'm here........

What is the annual fee to register a 7000# two axle car trailer in NYState ( weight is 1350# empty)? I was told I could got a set of maine plates for 5 years for what it costs to register for one here in NY.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It was something like $14 for me to register my 1000lb camper, so probably$14* 1.35 (1350 lbs) = $19.

Although you might have to go for commercial (trailer) plates on it. It looks like you'll have to get a title for it since it's over $999 lbs.

I vote for Maine plates. Don't give this state any more money than you absolutely have to. They're making a mint by double-fining people like me...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my 10k equipment trailer is 95 per year. i let it run out for 3-4 months every year as i dont use it in the winter. then its pro rated per month. so about now when i do renue it will be about 65-70 ish.

4. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

I chose not to get the Maine plates due to two people I know getting ticketed for haveing a trailer registered there. They Paid fines and had to register the trailer in NY. So there was no savings for them. NYS requires your vehicles to be registered here if you live here. My 7000 lb trailer was $46 to register a week ago.

5. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

For about $86 I can get a 5 year registration that shows my address as being a PO Box in Maine. But I guess that's my question. I would think it would be legal to have a NYS Lic. at my mailing address and a trailer reg. at my Maine PO Box #..??? Look at most of the over the road trailer plates...a lot of Maine plates. Maybe there's a connection.