Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

O/A welding questions...quick help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am finally about to set up my welder. it says in the little book that came with it to open the oxygen cylinder a little bit, then quickly close it to blow out dirt.
    Then it says to attach the regulators to the cylinders. Then it says to attach the hoses and then it says to fully release the regulator by turning the adjusting knob counter clockwise. Then it says to open the cylinder slowly and get the pressure where you want. If you open the regulators, won't the gas and oxygen come out through the hoses into the area I am setting it up? Also after it says to close the regulator one at a time to blow out any dust and dirt from the hoses. When you close the regualtor, does it let out the oxygfen and fuel gas, like it says...a little confusing:confused:
    please help, I want to get this going soon...

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Also, what PSI should I put the acetylene to, and the oxygen to?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Come on, where are all the welding guys?
    I tried hooking it up, I pretty much figureed it out, but it says before I do anything, i have to open the oxy cylinder for a second to clean the valve thingy out. Well I can't even move the knob to unscrew it. I'll phone air liquide tomorrow and find out whats up...anyone know what the problem could be?

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

for the regulator, if you turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise until there is no more pressure on the diaphram, it is closed. once you have your hoses hooked up, you need to open the valve on the torch body and then set your operating pressure. open the oxygen bottle all the way because it has a back seated valve. then wiht the oxy valve on the torch open, screw in the regulator valve until you get the operating pressure you need. this is setting the pressure dynamically. then close the valve on the torch body. then repeat for the acetalyne. but for the fuel, only open the valve one full turn. that way it is easy to shut off fast.

acetalyne should never be used at an operating pressure over 15 psi. it becomes unstable. for the oxygen, you should only operate it at half of what your regulator reads. for example, the regulator reads up to 200 psi, then your maximum safe operating pressure is 100 psi.

as far as what pressure to operate specifically, that depends on what size tip you are using. do a search on the web to find out that info. those are guidelines. you may have to tweak the pressures once you get going, but it will put you on the right track.

good luck steve

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a book, but also a chart that says the pressures for my tips. It says 3 for acetylene, and 3 for oxygen...my oxygen guage is at 50PSI where the 5PSI is on the acetylene guage.
    Also, the regulator adjustment knobs are clockwise to shut, and counter clockwise to open...the opposite of what you siad... different manufacturer I guess...
    Thanks!

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm....never seen that before. He was talking about the regulator t-handles. Not the bottle valve. You turn the t-handles (on the gauges) cw to increase your working pressure.

What kind of set-up do you have??

Rob

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

sorry if i was unclear on that. on a saftey note. familiarize yourself with the smell of acetalyne and smell all your equipment before and after use. if you have a leak and your stove in your shop finds some fuel, there will be a hole wher your house was

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

maybe I misread it. I was trying to say on my guages...I turn counterclockwise to open, because if I go CW it hits the stop, which I would guess means its closed. mine has a knob, not the T-handle.
    It's made by Air liquide...a candian welding outfit.

9. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

When the bottle valve is opened (usually Ox is all the way, act is 1/3 of a turn open), the working pressure is determined by turning the regulator valve cw to increase the pressure. I think the reason they state to open it fully ccw is to insure no damage to the regulators/gauges occurs....

so, to back up, after you clear the bottles of debris, and hook up the regulatos/gauges as per their instructions, with the bottles open and the regulators fully "ccw", you have no pressure. As you turn the handles "cw", you will see the needle move to show what the pressure coming out of that bottle and to your torch head is. Adjust the other bottle the same way.

This sounds like jibberish as I re-read it!!!

I hope this kind of clears it up....Just understand that the valve on the gauges turns "CW" to Increase the working pressure.

Rob

10. RSNHELL

RSNHELL Registered Member

If I were you I'd have someone that knows what thier doimg show you how to do it. Acetylene is not something to be f***ed with. DO YOU HAVE FLASHBACK SUPRESSORS ON TOUR LINE? DO YOU KNOW NOT TO LAY YOUR ACETYLENE TANK ON ITS SIDE?DON'T BLOW YOUR SELF OFF WITH PURE OXYGEN?PROPER STORAGE?Just remember your oxy tank is a miissle,and your acetylene tank is a bomb that can take out two city blocks.If your unsure about anything ,have someone guide you to the safest procedure. Just be careful. Theres alot more to it than just turning knobs.

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Ok...I re-read your whole post, and I think I can make this understandable....

1.open the oxygen cylinder a little bit, then quickly close it to blow out dirt.
    ok you did that

2.Then it says to attach the regulators to the cylinders.
    easy enough

3.Then it says to attach the hoses and then it says to fully release the regulator by turning the adjusting knob counter clockwise.

This is what I was talking about. All this is doing in ensuring that there will not be "Max Pressure" when you re-open the bottles.

4. Then it says to open the cylinder slowly and get the pressure where you want.

This is the 1/3 turn for Acyteline, and all the way open for O2 is was talking about. the reason Act is only cracked open, is because if you get Back Flash (read about it in the "book" they sent. you can run over and turn it off real fast. O2 isnt as dangerous by itself, just dont grab-ass with it!! Its promotes spontaneous combustion!!.....By slowly getting the pressure you want, is by turning the knobs "CW".

5. If you open the regulators, won't the gas and oxygen come out through the hoses into the area I am setting it up?
    no because the valves on the head should be closed.

6.Also after it says to close the regulator one at a time to blow out any dust and dirt from the hoses. When you close the regualtor, does it let out the oxygfen and fuel gas, like it says...a little confusing

What this is saying, is when you are done,close the bottle valve and release the gas that is in the line. Also called "bleeding down" or what ever. Think of it as your air compressor in the garage, you close the valve that feeds the air hose when you are done, but since its easier to wrap up the hose w/o air in it, you reach down and squeeze the impact trigger to "bleed" all of the air in the hose.

I dont mean to come across as talking down to you or anything (because I certainly am not), I just wanted to make sure you are good to go.

Have fun!!!
    '

Rob

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thanks I understand now.
    I wont be able to set it up for a while though, when I went to open the oxy tank to flush out any debris, it wouldn't open. So I will call the welding place and ask whats up. If I have anymore q's I'll come and ask.
    Thanks!!