Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

O great gods of wiring, please read

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Oct 29, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Alright guys, I got a weird one. The whole back of my truck wiring is screwed. Heres the symptoms. Hit the brakes and the brake lights and the side marker lights(ones in the tailight housing, not the ones by the front wheel) light. Turn on the turn signal and its like the flashers are on. Turn signal on and brakes on and I have wig-wags. Turn the headlights on, and there is nothing on the back. If I put the truck in reverse, I dont get backup lights, but the brake lights and the side marker light lights. If I unhook the ground wire in the drivers tailight area, everything still works.:eek1:

Alright, so far Ive bypassed the quick connect to remove the bed, Ive cleaned the ground wire, Ive pulled all the loom off and inspected the wires, they appear fine, Ive replaced the flasher(some symptoms matched) still no different. Can anyone please HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i had a similar one where the taillights were freakin... turned out the metal wire retainer on the frame had shorted out the harness.. had about 4 wires fused together. :doah:

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

O yeh something I forgot to mention, none of this ever blows a fuse. :confused: Working with no ground wire and not blowing fuses, wtf.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

trailer plug?

If you have a plug for a trailer spliced in,check the wires where they are spliced,then the plug itself..we get a lot of trucks with similar dilema's in my friends shop and many times its the trailer wiring or plug causing the symptoms..

Check all the bulbs too,if nothing there seem wrong..sometimes a bulb blows one filament ,and it touches the other one inside the bulb--that will cause all kinds of feedback and weird things to happen!..bad grounds and corroded sockets can do the same thing..use a jumper wire to a good ground directly to the ouside shell of the sockets the bulbs go in..it might be a simple broken or corroded ground wire causing all your greif..good luck--I hate diagnosing wiring problems-!..usually takes an hour to find out the problem,and 5 minites to actually fix it.. :doah: :rolleyes: :crazy:

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh, tomorow Im gonna mess w/ the sockets themselves. And no wiring for a trailer, has a hitch, but as far as I can tell its never been wired for a trailer :confused: O yeh, and changed the bulbs today. Ive spent about 6hrs working on it so far, all I got were cold hands cause its like 40 outside, I hate winter & wiring.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Check all grounds. Mine has done wierd things like this when i had grounding issues, once caused by trailer wiring, anoter caused by a ground strap that broke.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Alrighty, well, this morning brings more issues, I do have problems with the front. The front turn signals work fine till I turn on the headlights, then they begin blinking slow. The drivers side one blinks semi-slow, and the passenger side blinks extremely slow. Also with the headlights on, the hazards do not work at all.

8. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

definatly a ground issue, clean grounds, add grounds, whatever, all these symptoms can be caused by bad grounds

if you have to, add a ground from every light to the frame, then make sure you ground from the frame to the battery is good and clean

9. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i think chris is killing himself right now lol :D . hey man at least your truck does noth ave so bad of wiring that you are going down the road and it shuts off. i bet my truck makes you still feel so much better about yours! :wink1:

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Well boys,thanks for the help, its fixed. I swear, this is one for the weird files. Had a line-x installed before the problems started. Well, didnt think of this today until I was at the end of my rope, but the place I had it done, goes above and beyond, and removes all the bolts and screws in the bed before they spray, whereas most places spray over everything. Well, there is now line-x under the bed bolts, and I have a body lift, so there is plastic between the bed and the frame. So I installed a ground strap between the bed & the frame, everything is fine.

I guess the line-x under the bed bolts was keeping the bed from grounding to the frame.

I swear I hate electrical.