Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

o.k I found more problems?? Now water in both differentials???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Feb 7, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

o.k I am just having a terrible week, I get a custom built drivshaft go to put it in and snap a bolt on the yoke, so I take out the yoke to replace it, since I got another one cheap. When I pull it out what do I see, water in with the gear lube. So I decide to check the front, smae thing? Where is it coming from, I have all of the vents, ran with tubing into the engine compartment(up high) with a filter. My pinions seals dont leak. I am wondering if it could be coming in the axel seals?? Where are the front axel seals located?? are they inside the tube?? Any sugestions are welcome.... THanks

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Yup the front seals are inside. you have to remove the carrier to get at them. do you have any signs of leaks?? Make sure all your vent tubes are not picking up water in the eng. compartment too.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If your vents are not cracked and not plugged, then you have a seal problem. Did you play in water? Anyways, the culprit is the axle seals you mentioned. They are located in the differential right by the carrier bearings. In other words, they are in the pumpkin. To change them, you need to take out both shafts completely out. You would also have to take the ring gear/carrier assembly out too. Make sure you keep everything in order, including the carrier caps and bolts. Contrary to what some people say, the seals are NOT out in the end of the tubes by the knuckles. They are in the inside part of the tubes.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep its the seals and they r pretty easy to change out. Do what "thatK30guy" said. New axle seals r gonna cost you a whapp'n .50cents a piece. Just an afterthought if you dont have manual hubs now would be a great time think about the investment.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]