Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

o sh*t! o f#$k, o f@#k! Is my transmission about to go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Troopie's Tonka, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif so i finally got tonka back on the road, after it has been sitting for a month. I'm driving down the road, coasting, and come to a hill so give it some more gas....nothing. pull off the side of the road, go through all the gears, nothing. put it in 4H, nothing. get out, lock the hubs, get in and it goes. get back out unlock the hub, go 2 wheel drive and it works. Is my tranny about to take a dump on me? without checking out the obvious, transmission fluid, what could it be? hope it just had a brain fart or something...thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    oh, its a 700R4 by the way

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like the T-case linkage needs adjusting to me. I'd guess what happened was the T-case got bumped into neutral. Then when you locked it in 4HI with hubs locked it worked and when you put it back in 2HI you got it back in.

700's do weird things when they're on the way out...but not what you described...

Rene

3. Troopie's Tonka

so maybe i'm good? it has happened twice before since i have had it (4 months) and i just mess around with the shifters and get it working again. so, can we guess that my tranny isn't taking a dump on me? and that it just slips out every once in a while? please please please please

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Find your Haynes or Chilton's manual (you do have one of the two right?/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and review the transfer case linkage adjusting procedure. Now adjust the the linkage. Most likely the linkage is on the edge of coming out of 2Hi when the indicator show's it's where it should be. Inside the T-case is a detent ball, so if it's not exactly where it should be the linkage will want to go one way or the other.

Rene

5. Troopie's Tonka

i will be sure to do that..thanks. oh, and it always pops out of 4H when i am wheeling, i just say fu$k it and keep it in 4L. 4L is more fun anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif list of things to do: 1. adjust linkage, 2. buy one of those manuals, oh wait, 2 comes first, 3. get a slurpie from 7/11, 4. find a mean trail so i can finally test out these 4.56's and other goodies i finally finished puttin in. woohoo!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 5. run over a ricer

6. Troopie's Tonka

oh did i mention that the dipshit that had the truck before me had 2.73's running 35/12.50's? and 2 of them were worn pretty bad, then i threw on my 36's and went back and forth to atlanta a few times...i am sure i was pissing off my transmission with that one. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm with Rene on this one....

Sounds like your linkage needs soem looking at...