Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

O/T: 3 Phase Wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Aug 10, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm a residential electrician which = single phase so I'm all confused and junk... I'm trying to wire up my mill which is 3 phase 220. I'm running a rotory phase converter with T1, T2, and T3 outputs. The mill has it's main breaker with the 3 lugs and a ground lug for an earth ground rod. Anywho, how do I know which leads go to which lug on the breaker? It's not labeled at all so... Does it matter?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The placement of L1,L2,and L3 isnt important.Just check rotation of your motor once ya get it hooked up.If its spinning the wrong way,just switch the placement of any two of the legs with eachother at the breaker or plug.

Make sence /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. willyswanter

Yeah that makes sense and I understand that as far as hooking directly to a motor. But this is a CNC machine with a ton of computer/logic junk hooked to this and I was told that if I hook the L3 to the wrong terminal on the breaker I can fry all tha stuff, or was the guy smokin crack? Thanks frizz /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Iv got 11 CNC machines at work that are 3 phase,during the install or when I move them around the plant Iv never worried about where L1 L2 and L3 go.The manufacturers never specified one way or the other.I dont have a machine like yours though,the guy could be right but I aint no electrition /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Isnt your mill a Tree?I just picked one up (for my shop at work) Its a 73 model,not CNC but its got a high dollar 3 axis display and a bunch of other stuff

5. willyswanter

Yep, Tree Journeyman 310 CNC /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the info sir /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The electronics won't care about the phase of the connections. I used to work on computer chip test systems that cost $2.5 million EACH ( /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ) and ran on 3-phase 208v power (125 amps per leg! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ) When we would install new ones, we would power up the system and check which direction the cooling fans were running. If they were pushing air into the system, we'd have the electricians reverse two legs. Then the fans would pull air out of the system, like they're supposed to, and everything would work fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

3 phase is usually 120/208/240 208 being the wild leg which is usually identified by a ridge on the jacket or a red tape marker. If the rotation is backwards, swap the two power legs.

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    3 phase is usually 120/208/240 208 being the wild leg which is usually identified by a ridge on the jacket or a red tape marker. If the rotation is backwards, swap the two power legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaa???
    Three phase power is either 208 volts phase to phase or 480 volts phase to phase. There is no such thing as 120V three phase power. On a 208V system you will get 120V to ground and on a 480V system its 277V to ground. You only get 240V when you go phase to phase on a single phase system, or on some special transformer setups with a delta-wound secondary. Something like this would be found in an industrial setting, not in someone's garage with a rotary phase convertor.

If any of you are interested in building your own phase converter, check this out. I'm gonna make one of these for my lathe once I find a 3 or 5 horsepower idler motor at work. Right now it runs off a static phase convertor. But if you don't have some basic electrical knowledge, then just buy one. Like they told us in school: If a plumber fawks up, he might get showered in [I love Jeeps]. If a sparky fawks up, he might die. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Willyswanter, it won't matter which leg you put on which terminal. Like the others said, if the motor runs backwards when it's supposed to run forward, swap any of the two legs. I'm not an electronics tech, but I think that todays electronics don't care what the phase rotation is, they just make it work correctly.....like magic..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. willyswanter

Yep, thats what I wanted to hear. Everything is wired up right now between the mill and phase converter. All thats left is running the power from the panel over to the phase converter. Ran out of time this morning before I had to go do real work /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif . Hopefully get it up and running tonight, I can feel the hot chips flying at me already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now I just need to find a place to buy coolant and oil for the thing here local...

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

SO you are saying I can run a 3 phase mill at the house /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I just may become the /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifdaddy this fall. Can you say Bridgeport IN THE HOUSE!

11. willyswanter

Yep

I just got it all finished up last night:

Phase converter:

[​IMG]

Mill:

[​IMG]

12. deus

deus Registered Member

So what is going to be the first project?

13. willyswanter

Diff covers... But I guess the first was the test run I did this morning, milled a short program into some wood to make sure all the positioning, backlash adjustments, etc were good.

14. deus

deus Registered Member

so what do ya charge for time on the CNC? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. willyswanter

For bluebies, 300/hour, if you were orange 20/hour /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif