Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

O/T fuel system ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skratch, May 21, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I know this is a bit off topic, but . . .

I got out my lawnmower yesterday and went through and did a full tune up on it so I could mow the yard.
    After two hours of work trying to figure out why it wouldn't start I tried to see if it was pulling air into the carb and once my fingers blocked the intake it started!?
    I could only get it to run if the air intake was blocked almost entirely /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It seems that it is geting too much air with the choke closed as far as it will go.
    Does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on and how to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Oh yeah it's a Briggs 6hp that has otherwise always run great.

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Maybe your mixture screww needs adjusted. Sounds like you're getting too much air. Maybe your mounting gasket is blown or the carb has come loose. I used to run go-carts with 5 HP B&S engines and they vibrate like a Harley, seems like something is always coming loose.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I went through and resealed all the gasket surfaces thinking it might be a leak, but I'll definatly look at the mixture screw.

I kinda thought it was running rich, thanks!

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

If it wouldn't start until your fingers blocked he intake it was probably sucking a little too much air and you fingers acted like a choke plate. Those engines can be funny little turds though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif