Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

O.T. - !!! I FINALLY GOT A JOB !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Please indulge me in this off-topic post, but I wanted to let my "second family" know that I've finally found a new job!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I got laid-off on May 1st of last year during the whole "dot com" implosion. The technology sector here in San Jose has been hit REALLY hard, and despite all my best efforts, there simply weren't any companies looking to hire......

I've been living on credit for the last year.....cash advances to pay my mortgage, etc. It's been the hardest year of my life (both financially, and emotionally).

However, one of the things that helped me feel "connected" to the outside world was ColoradoK5. Even though I was sitting alone in my house everyday, I was able to "reach out" to the rest of this group and feel like a part of something that kept my spirits up, and kept me in a positive frame-of-mind. So I want to say "Thanks" to everyone here for providing support whether you realized you were doing it, or not!

This news has really started my weekend off right.

2. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

greg,
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!

man a new job and wheeling all in one week. you gonna be able to handle the excitement?...lol

later, todd

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

CONGRATS! That is excellent! What did you find a job doing? Still in technology? Glad to hear CK5 helped you keep things together... hope everything sorts itself out soon.

Good to hear you are on your feet again!

-Dan

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Glad to hear it. Hopefully, better times are coming.

5. Greg72

Dan,

YEP, still in technology..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I don't even have the offer letter yet, but H.R. called just to let me know; the actual "offer letter" will be here either Monday or Tuesday. I've been on pins-and-needles since my final interviews on Tuesday........A total of 13 seperate interviews lasting almost 8 hours!!!!

The killer thing is that the company is right here in Milpitas. My commute will be about 6 minutes long (Absolutely unheard of in the Bay Area!!!!)

My guess is that I won't be starting until Monday (April 29th)....so I can now work "non-stop and guilt-free" on the Blazer for the next 9 days!!!!!!

6. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

congrats...I would have lost my sanity...glad to hear CK5 was able to give you something to keep you mind at ease for a little while. Jesse

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good Job dude!
    I got lucky and quit 3Com before they laied off my team. I know have been working in Pleasanton for the last couple yrs at a payroll company doing tech support.
    See ya on Sunday /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Whoo hoo, right on

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Congrats glad to hear it but I will miss all the mid day postings /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Congrats.. There is a slight possibility that I might be moving to your neck of the woods. (San Jose area) I am a little leary about being able to find a job myself. I probably wont be moving out there until next year some time, if I do. Maybe we will be neighbors or if I can't find a job I will just come mooch off you!!!! haha Anyways, congrats again....

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Congrats....

12. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Congrats, Greg!

Blazer time, the goal.
    Time spent on the job, a necessity.
    Time savings with that short commute, priceless.
    Goto top.

13. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

RIGHT ON GREG !!! Thats awesome! Glad to hear things are looking up, I toast a Michelob to you pal.....
    If idda known you were stressed so much finacially.. I would have started a "save Greg72 fund" or something...
    .....oh ya..... Just make sure you put in for your time off for Hollister... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    TORI

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

way to go Man!!! I guess you are REALLY gonna start doing things to your truck now, and making us feel even more behind on our own...../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a big "HAZZZAAA!" from Zakk, Rita, Mark, Scott, & Tony.

Now the build ups REALLY begin!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. Greg72

Tori,

I am going to list the following dates as "mandatory vacation" as a contingency to accepting their offer:

June 28 (BlazerFest)
    August 22,23,26,27 (Moab BlazerBash)

These dates are NON-negotiable and NON-changeable!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I better really spend these last few days enjoying my "wrenching time" on the K5. I can tell already that I'm going to be a BUSY man once the job starts!!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Maybe there's still a chance of getting the 1-Ton Frame Swap done before Moab now.....?

17. Greg72

Doug,

I am going to be happy just having medical insurance again! It's not cool getting metal shavings in your eyes and accidentally lighting yourself on fire with the MIG.......and not having coverage!!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Those things aside, you should see my welds these days.....they're starting to look "pro". Zakk and I did his ORD steering brace and I was beaming with pride at how nice all the welds looked when I was done.

Now all I need is the plasma cutter and a "BIG" bottle of Ar/CO2.....I've already emptied two of the "cute" bottles that came with the machine! It's time to get serious.

18. ibrakeformud

ibrakeformud 1/2 ton status

way to go greg glad to hear you to got a job. i just got 1 myself koffler electric in san leandro. seems like a cool place, now i might be able to get my 68 camaro done. anyways congrats and talk ill talk with you on sunday

19. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Congrat's Greg! I've been in a similar situation the past couple of years. I was in trucking for years and wrecked my truck in 98 so I decided to stay off the road. Did construction then got into selling cars and trucks for a couple of dealers. Never got up to the old trucking style paychecks but I learned how to wholesale vehicles and I'm hoping to have that business going full time in a year or so. Till then I went back to trucking for a while and now have some decent checks coming in again. Its really been eatin me up not being able do alot of the stuff I've been wanting to do to the Blaze. Probably won't make any of the runs yet this year, but I sure hope to be at it in 03. I can't wait to runout west and meet a bunch of you guys.

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Your lucky, I own my own truck and the last couple of months it's been dead around here. I've got a dump truck transfer rig and only worked 3 days last month. I quess the bad economy finally caught up with us.