Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

O wonderful, heater core crapped out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 14, 2006.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Past few days Ive noticed my windshield was crappy lookin and I kept forgetting to wash it, anyway, today it finally got cool, so I didnt have the windows down, so I flipped on the defroster and I got steam out the vents and a nice sweet smell. Great, look over in the passenger floor, pull back the floormat and the floor is wet :mad: :mad: .

I know theres a write up in the tech section to replace it, just wondering if any brand core is better than another? Advance has a bunch, ranging from 27 bucks to 50 bucks for the same application. Or are all these just crappy pieces, and should I go to the expense of getting a dealer one :eek1: (well, if they even have em anymore).

Ive heard some of the parts store cores are crap and will be rotted out in 5 years. I dont think I wanna make the heater core part of routine maintenance, and I dont wanna pay 300 bucks for a core.

Thanks guys.

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put a autozone core in mine it cost me $20. The quality looked pretty good, it was made in USA not china like most of there stuff.

Also, before you get started, check the hoses that feed the core, a leak can create the same problems.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah just get whatever is usa made and youll be fine, no worries, shop around all the local stores,

the heater core is inside the box thats under the dahs, its a job, youll ahve to rmeove the glovebox and nuts on the studs under the hood that go through the firewall and the screws and then same on the inside of the cab and pull the entire interior box out from under the dash and then take it apart to get the core out

its time consuming

take your time remember where everything goes

and lay towels and cardboard and such on the floor over there, as fluid will probably pour onto the floor, pack it up against the kick panel too where it meets the floor, it goes everywhere

good luck

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I just went out and checked the heater hose clamps are tight. Lookin under the dash you can see where its dripping out of the box........What the best way to get antifreeze out of carpet short of pulling the carpet out of the truck?

On an AC truck, does the box on the firewall in the engine bay have to come out, or is it held up with something else? Figures this would happen the week AFTER springbreak when I dont have a week to fix it.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Sucks to be you!!! j/k
    My battery hold down let go a few days ago and my battery hit the heatercore lines breaking one of them off while I was wheelin. My truck is non-A/C, and I am just going to bypass the core until summer is ending.

6. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

no the a/c box does not come out with this job(at least with my 91 k5).