Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

o2 sensor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Feb 4, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey all, Ive already burned up 2 oxy sensors (well first fd up cause it was flooding real bad, bad ignition module) second not real sure why. Thinking that maybe since I have my o2 in the reducer, and i have open headers at the moment, it isnt getting hot enough, so its staying in closed (or open?) loop and flooding out, burnin up the sensor. Does that make sense to anyone else? If i was going to run a heated o2 sensor, what vehicle to get it for, how to wire it, and how much do they cost. I mean these 1 wire reg jobs are 14.99 at pepgirls. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I know that if you touch the sensor part that goes into the pipe it will cause it to malfunction. Try one from Jeg's or Summit .
    Bill

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

It would stay in open loop, if it didnt heat up, but what would make it run richer would be the fact that since its open(to the air), its reading all that air, thinking its running lean, richening it up. But I dont think it could be bad enough to make it fail so soon.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I got a heated 4-wire O2 that is for a 1997 K1500 with a 350. It has a heater and a separate ground for a more accurate signal...So basically all you have to do to wire it is have 2 good grounds and a 12V+ keyed ignition. I have yet to throw mine in so I can't ell you if it helps compared to the 1-wire... I too have my O2 mounted in the collector on my 454. I also got the )2 sensor connector from GM to make it a clean install. that way if you burn an o2 up you don't have to hard wire it each time..

PM me if you want the part numbers and I will dig them up for the Bosch O2 and the GM connector

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bosch O2 and the GM connector

[/ QUOTE ]

I used Bosch...sumbitch was bad right outta the box...I'll never waste my money on one again...Delco was actually $5 cheaper ($42?)... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I don't run my headers open either, which I'm sure makes a difference....just wanted another opportunity to badmouth bosch 02 sensors... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When it comes to O2 sensors always use Gm, never aftermarket.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You aren't the only one. I bought a Bosch for my car not knowing any better, and since the truck is going to run before the car, the O2 sensor is going into the truck. Everyone says "just watch it, it may no work right".

Really odd, lots of people have problems (relatively) with the Bosch O2 sensors, yet they are a good company, and who made the MAF sensors that were used in the Camaro's, at least for a few years. ANd they work fine for years. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Open headers are just for now, till I get it running reliably enough to take it to exhaust shop. It WAS flooding REALLY bad and ignition module was bad, then o2 sensor went, like right after i fixed the ignition module so i figured the super rich mix killed it. Put in a new one (bosch) and it ran perfect.....for about an hrs wortha running, then check engine comes on. I shut down pull codes see its o2 sensor, it wont hardly even start now. Maybe ill go grab another cheapo o2 run it to exhaust shop, then go w/ the good one. No sense in burnin up a nice on if the open headers are causing it. But when I do get my exhaust would it be wise to get a heated one? Thanks again.

9. dyeager535

Cold engine doesn't reference the O2 sensor, so if it won't start, I'd look at something else.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

forgot to say engine was hot when i tried to refire. Itll start now, just runs crappy once up to temp.

11. dyeager535

You've checked that the coolant temp sensor is working correctly? Working ok when cold should at least rule out stuff like injectors and what not, since the cold engine operation is "preprogrammed".

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh all that stuff is good, i mean it ran for like 20 mins, then check engine came on. Shut it down to pull codes saw was o2 sensor, said what the heck lets see if itll refire, just wouldnt start, timing is off a bit may have something to do w/ it.