Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oakland sea port closed *Alot of people getting laid off*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by UseYourBlinker, Oct 4, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

As some of you locals might know. A oakland shipping port is on strike. In which some companies have to downsize. Numi (car manufacture) has stopped,and has shut down the assembly lines. I just started at FedEx last week and today laid off 3 people today. We soon might have to work every other day. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Need to start looking for another job yet agian. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The offers you got for jobs earlier still stand?

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well I had another "meeting" yesterday agian. They have to call me back if it's a yay or nay. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Hey man what's up? I am one of those NUMMI employees. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif We're not out of work, they have a no lay off policy in our contract, but we aren't doin much. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I just hope it ends soon. Every day we don't run adds a Saturday to our work schedule. That is if we don't loose more vehicle orders to Canada. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that there will be plenty of work for me, while the economy is in the toilet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But if that happens, I won't get to see my son play a single soccer game this year /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I've been working every Sat. since he started. Good luck with the job! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey eric if you are talking about the lowes job..They will call you for 3...yes 3 ...interviews and you will get the offer at the last one..good luck man..mike /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's all the west coast ports, it's a lockout, they didn't strike. The union was accused of a work slowdown and of course they are in the middle of contract negotiations and they are starting to piss and moan about every little thing. This thing is starting to affect a whole lot of people. A lot of farmers down here are starting to feel the effect. They export a lot of their stuff and some farmers are having to decide if they are gonna harvest their crops. And then there are the storage places who are filling up because they can't ship and so on and so forth. Hopefully they settle this thing soon. Of course I would offer to bar the door and stand guard with the Bubba Ray Guns of Doom and keep those selfish fawkers in that friggin room until they settled their problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's one thing if a few get locked out/strike, but this thing has a lot of implications and can affect a boatload of people and it ain't right.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its time for GW to step in and say "Quit yer bichen,Open those gates and get your arses back to work"

Jees.... Longshoremen make a boat load of money what the hell are those union commies complainin about any way? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Sounds to me like a evil Democratic Union plot to ruin the economy before the fall elections so they have something to blame on the Republicians. The Dems really have no other issues to run on. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif