Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oakleys are such pieces of crap

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 13, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have been buying oakleys for the last ten years at least and scrached my most recent pair that I have owned for a whole 5 months. This is like the 10th pair I have owned that have scrached, broke, fallen apart etc etc.

Any how I went and checked out Ray Bans and these are awesome. Glass lenses...wow weird. Steel frames....amazing. Cheaper than oakleys, nice. So I assume I will loose these the first time out doing something.

Just wanted to share, have a nice day.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The last pair of Oakleys I owned, I had for close to 3 years. Ran over them with a golf cart, thrown at rocks, mudslinging, and even wakeboard and kneeboard while wearing. They never let me down until the leg broke right at the rubber ear piece. I got a new pair now. Exact same frame (Minute), but I stepped up to the Polarized lenses. Best decision I've ever made.

Sorry to hear that yours didn't work out.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Dare I ask how much you've paid for sunglasses in the last five years? :doah:

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have had the same pair of Oakleys for 3 years. I bought a couple pair of cheap lenses on eBay to use while working on the truck, in the yard, etc. I love them.

6. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I just picked up some Bollés, seem to be pretty good quality, got em way cheaper than retail on ebay.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

No, not buttsecks, 8_your_H2.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

gotta watch the "way cheaper" stuff though. last time i was in NY, guys selling Oakleys, starting at about $40 a pair. funny thing is, you could talk em down to like $5 a pair.

9. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I used to do Oakley's...highest I paid for a pair was $150. Got over that...now I do the $9.99 Wal-Mart specials off the display. Have worn the same pair now for about 2 years. I drive for a living and they do just fine.

10. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I've got prescription Ray Bans, I love em.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Best sunglasses I've owned ever are these "Native" brand glasses. Lifetime warranty (my friend ran over his and they sent him a brand new pair), mine came with 4 colors of interchangeable lenses (two polarized), vented frames that have never fogged up. I have not put another pair of glasses on since I bought these in 2004.

http://www.nativeyewear.com/

12. cbbr

Look a lot like the half jackets.

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've had the same pair of oakleys for four years. Held up real well IMO.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

x2 :thumb:

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X2 only shades i buy
    plus they really support the military, so they are good in my book

16. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I guess it started back in the late 80's early 90's with Blades. I had at least 3 pairs of them and they would split right down the middle. That was back when oakley had their lifetime guarantee so I got them replaced. Then I changed over to Frogskins, had a few pairs of those. Then it progressed from there. The 2nd to last pair I owned was the Romeo gold iridium. I had a friend who worked at the sunglasses hut and got them 1/2 price, they were nice but at $350 retail I would hope so.

The last pair destroyed a few weeks ago were bottlecaps and I really liked them but they fell off a shelf and onto a wood table maybe 2 feet and scrached the lenses. WTF....

17. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

The only bad thing about the glass lense is that they are a lot heavier than the plastics. If you wear them for long periods of time, they can get uncomfortable. I currently have 3 pairs of RayBans, a pair of Ann Kleins and I recently bought a pair of Revos. By far, Revo is the nicest of the 3, but the style I got is kind of fragile. I also have about 4 other pairs of sunglasses that I got at Target, KMart, etc. Yes, I like sunglasses :o

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i go with $10 wally world / target glasses. Works for me and if I break them or lose them I don't really care. I haven't bought a spendy pair since I was in the Marines. We wore Oakleys for hostage rescue stuff. They were fine, and cost like $90 at the PX. Don't really need anything like that anymore...

j

19. cbbr

I had Ray Bans (grat glasses by the way) but was always afraid that the lens would shatter if something it them right. I don't worry at all with the Oakleys.

20. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Most expensive glasses I ever bought were special edition Gargoyles... $150. The second time I wore them out of the house, someone stole them right off the pool table I was playing on while I was taking a shot. I was hella pissed and ready to take the whole damn crowd out to the parking lot until someone owned up. I didn't, and they didn't.

Second most expensive pair was some ray bans the g/f talked me into buying last year, I accidently sat on them in the car on the way home from that weekend away, broke into 3 or 4 pieces. But Ive had several pairs of $5 glasses that have survived me for years... that's my luck in a nutshell right there. lol

I only buy cheap glasses now.