Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OBA and co2 tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pplblazerdude, Apr 13, 2004.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

Ok i know co2 is stored as a gas. I was talking to my dad and he sad that if i mad a co2 type oba tank thingy that there is a chance of blowing up tires cause it goes from lquid to gas and expands. My question is there is alot of you al running it how do you do it and keep from screwing up tires? The vehicle is a daliy driver weekend warrior and i would be the only one out of 6 trucks that i go with with oba. Is there any disadvatages or advantages to it.

Thanks
    Clint

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well i guess thoretically that is true, you could blow up tires, bu ti think you would stop before that happened right? If you keep the bottle upright, you wont get any liquid, plus if you use a regulator like you should, you can set it at a max that won't leet you blow up your tires, when i have the time i just set the reg at 30 and finish breaking camp, when it stops change tires and keep loading the truck, its not the fastest method but hey i don't have to keep runnign back to check them, when it hits 30 it stops.

3. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

so you can set the tanks to stop at the desired pressure. Do you have any plans for a home made deal cause 400 bones is alot of money for a one from bigair and such.

Thanks
    Clint

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I just made one for $185.00 Go get a CO2 tank
    have it filled at a welding shop get a regulator
    with two gauges one is to tell you how much co2 is in the tank and the other you can set how much volume you want. I set mine at 125 psi you will also need a air hose most are rated for 300 psi max. But be sure to get a good clamp setup you dont want a missle loose in the truck. Hope this helps
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Yup as RaisedK5 stated... I recently put together my tank set up and I have NO problem with tire infaltion...I aired my 35's up after the TDS Safari back in March, drove 55 miles to my home and the tires to this day still read 33 psi.. right at where I filled them up to.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

It's really nice to be able to blow out the dirt out of your truck when you get back home /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Nitrogen also works well, with no expansion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Mine cost me $120 for a filled tank, regulator w/guages and mount. Went to a place that sells Ice and CO2 to restaurants and bought it there. The regulator may not have enough flow to reset a tire bead but ill figure that out when the time comes.

[​IMG]

8. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I order Co2 among other gasses for work so I asked my sales rep about it. Everything that has been said is true although nitrogen would be better (thats what they use to fill airplane tires). But one drawback noone has mentioned is the fact that Co2 is corosive. That is why your tanks have date stamps on them, Co2 in tires will slowly corrode the wheel from the inside out. It might be a PITA but use it to air up and then when you get home deflate and reinflate with air.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It will not leave the tank as a liquid. CO2 is normally a gas and is compressed to make it a liquid. You don't need any gauges if you don't want them. If you use a fixed regulator the out put pressure will always be what the regulator is set to. The pressure in the bottle will stay constant until it is almost empty, so no need for a gauge there either. To check how much gas you have, weigh the tank empty & full, and use weight to determine what is left.
    GO here: http://www.williamsballoons.com/co2_regulators.htm

10. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I order Co2 among other gasses for work so I asked my sales rep about it. Everything that has been said is true although nitrogen would be better (thats what they use to fill airplane tires). But one drawback noone has mentioned is the fact that Co2 is corosive. That is why your tanks have date stamps on them, Co2 in tires will slowly corrode the wheel from the inside out. It might be a PITA but use it to air up and then when you get home deflate and reinflate with air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first off true nitrogen will not vary however it cost alot more to fill...and I don't beleive you can run air tools with it or use a blow nozzle to clean things.. nitrogen is hazardous...aircraft tires are also high pressure... I have never heard anything about co2 being corrosive... all soda fountains use it along with all soda makers...The tanks are stamped when they are hydro tested as are ALL tanks that hold gasses , ie Oxygen, helium, acetlyene (sp) etc.. This is done for safety reasons..

11. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

are some guys here getting confused that the co2 is in liquid form then turns to gas out of the tank. if you go to www.powertank.com they explain alot about it....Jason

12. bigjbear

Nitorgen (N) is not hazardous or at least not any more than any other highly pressurized gas. N is inert and when dispensed from high pressure bottles it is free of moisture. That is why it is used to fill aircraft tires. N can be used to run air tools. Ever watch a NASCAR race? That's what the pit crews use to spin their impacts. One more time N is an inert gas, you can run it through a blow gun all day long.

13. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nitorgen (N) is not hazardous or at least not any more than any other highly pressurized gas. N is inert and when dispensed from high pressure bottles it is free of moisture. That is why it is used to fill aircraft tires. N can be used to run air tools. Ever watch a NASCAR race? That's what the pit crews use to spin their impacts. One more time N is an inert gas, you can run it through a blow gun all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I carried a tall (about 4') nitrogen tank in my (work) trailer. HVAC contractors (service techs) use it to pressure-test refrigeration systems, either after intial installation (brazing together system components) of for leak testing. Freon pressures vary with ambient temps, nitrogen doesnt (and it's moisture free, a no-no in refrigeration system), so a system w/400 lbs of nitrogen charge at 80* Monday afternoon, should (if no leaks) have 400 lbs of pressure Wednesday morning at 55*. I think Nitrogen is higher pressure than CO2 (not saying thats good or bad for this OBA aplication) but I think I paid upward of $200 for my regulator/dual gauge assy, because it's higher pressure. I also carried CO2 (for blowing out dirty condenser coils when water wasn't available), and just cracked the valve to "throttle" amount of pressure, but then again, I was just using it for a blowgun. As I recall, neither were too expensive to refill, and I think the nitrogen lasts longer, but a call to your local welding supplier should answer that. If I recall, new nitro tank has upwards of 500 lbs pressure, not sure about the CO2, since mine is "un-gauged". I'm not sure of any saftey factor of using either, but I can say that anything could be dangerous if not used in a well-ventilated area, as it all displaces oxygen.

14. bigjbear

Just one comment on that. Pressure out will be whatever the reg is set to. Either should make 400# w/o a problem. As you said saftey should be the main concern, mount the tank securly and use in a well ventelated area. The last one should be no prob, since we're talking trail use. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I use helium /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

16. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Sorry guys... I guess I though that due to being around the Navy all these years and the way they handle Nitrogen, they act like its a disease /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif... They sure act like it's dangerous... but then again they always over do everything... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

17. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use helium /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. bigjbear

You ever see "The man from LOX" video?

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you were near the aviating Navy, they acted gun-shy around nitrogen because the "NAN cart" has 6 large bottles charged to 3000psi. I've seen the aftermath of a bottle with only 900psi that fell and broke the valve off... 6" deep crater in a concrete hangar floor, among the other damage...