Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OBA people

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

For those that have done it or for those that know the answer to this.

The pop-off valve that is mounted on the tank, does it HAVE to be mounted in the tank or can it be mounted in the manifold on the inner fender with the gauge and pressure switch?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    For those that have done it or for those that know the answer to this.

The pop-off valve that is mounted on the tank, does it HAVE to be mounted in the tank or can it be mounted in the manifold on the inner fender with the gauge and pressure switch?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pop-off valve is an emergency release, in case the compressor doesn't turn off and tries to over-pressurize the system. It's like a fuse; too much current (air pressure) and it opens (in this case, releases the pressure.) This keeps components like the tank and airlines exploding from excess pressure.

It can go anywhere in the system, I suppose. I would want it right next to the tank, myself, as the tank would be the component most likely to be damaged (and hence, damage me!) from over pressure.

I suppose if it was up front, as you describe, you'd be okay; you'd want the line from that manifold to the tank to be a very very good line -- either hardline or very nice air line, capable of withstanding the overpressure.

If there is any pressure loss from the tank to the pop-off valve or if the line to it can't support much flow, the valve might not sense the over pressure until it was too late, and might not be able to drain fast enough, if that makes sense.

Where are you wanting to put the tank that you can't fit the popoff on it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif They're very small... or does your tank only have one fitting? Easy enough to drill and weld on another fitting... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The popoff valve can be mounted anywhere that has the same as tank pressure!

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

It can go anywhere really, so long as it's in the same part of the circuit that the tank is in. Mine is on the manifold under the hood. In my system the tank is just at the end of one long hose, all of the accessories and lines run from the manifold. It's just pressurized air, all the tank does is add volume to the system, it's not like stuff has to be attached to the tank in order to get to the air that it holds.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cause the way I'm doing mine is:

from the manifold, I'm running a single line to a T fitting, off the T will be 2 lines running to 2 separate 5 gallon tanks (I got a killer deal on 4, 5 gallon tanks for $10 so I'm running 2 tanks). Off of one tank I'm going with a hose to a port out the rear and the other tank will have a port that runs to the front.

So now that I think about it, I should prolly put my pop-offs in the tanks? What ya think /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You only need one pop-off valve, it doesn't matter if you have 20 tanks.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Thats what I ment, just not what I said /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cause the way I'm doing mine is:

from the manifold, I'm running a single line to a T fitting, off the T will be 2 lines running to 2 separate 5 gallon tanks (I got a killer deal on 4, 5 gallon tanks for $10 so I'm running 2 tanks). Off of one tank I'm going with a hose to a port out the rear and the other tank will have a port that runs to the front.

So now that I think about it, I should prolly put my pop-offs in the tanks? What ya think /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bother running the front port off of the tank, just run it off wherever is closest to the front of the truck. Like I said, it makes no difference where the line is hooked up, the air system has the same volume and the same pressure everywhere. You could put the tank at the end of a 200 foot hose around the block and you'd still have the same pressure and volume in the system, other than the extra but of air that is in the longer hose. Just route the lines the shortest simplest most efficient route, don't worry about connecting them to the tanks. Same with the popoff valve, put it wherever it's easy to get to, if you need to depressurize the system the popoff valve is an easy place to do it, if it's on a tank under the truck it's that mnuch harder to get to.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    if you need to depressurize the system the popoff valve is an easy place to do it, if it's on a tank under the truck it's that mnuch harder to get to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true unless you have an electric solenoid hooked up to activate your pop-off valve from inside your rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't put one on a tank under the truck for fear of it getting dirty/muddy and not operating correctly.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you need to depressurize the system the popoff valve is an easy place to do it, if it's on a tank under the truck it's that mnuch harder to get to.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be opening the drain at the bottom of the tank (or wettank if you made a proper air system) regularly to remove water and contaminants