Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OBA tank question - pressure testing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I pressure tested my OBA setup tonight, just making sure that there are no leaks before I put everything in. I was hiding around the corner from the tank since I'm a wuss and I was afraid that it was gonna blow. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Just curios if I should go get it tested or if there's really no need to. My mind says that it should be fine, but my gut doesn't like it. I went up to 120PSI without a problem.

It's a 6 gallon tank from a semi trailer, it's stamped "150PSI max pressure" on the side. It's in good shape, the paint is flaked off in a few places and it's got a little surface rust in those places (remember that I'm in CA, surface rust to me means that the metal has a slight rust-colored hue, it doesn't mean that it just doesn't have holes yet). Should I have it tested? If so, where the heck would I get that done? The most pressure that it will ever see is 120PSI since that's the cutoff for the OBA system. </font color>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Any dents or cracks? If not and it held 120 psi it should be fine. I've seen cracked air tanks...all they do is leak air, they don't explode. Usually on the truck tanks they crack at the mounts due to the rubber isolator material wearing out and the vibes get em...

Check around the mounts and if there are no cracks don't worry about it.

rene

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> No dents or anything, it's in great shape. I think this one used straps of some sort to mount it, there are no mounts welded to it. </font color>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm more used to the ones mounted between trailer frames, but I've seen the others as well. I think it's actually a couple of large U-bolts. No reason to worry.

It's only 125 psi...which is a lot for a tire but not a big deal for a steel tank. The tanks that go boom in a bad way compress flammable gases into a liquid...but we'll weld and cut right next to them without a second thought./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The main thing you want to have is a 150psi safety pop-off valve. Just in case your pressure switch fails and your pump continues to pump its little A$$ off, you will want to be sure that no more than 150psi is in your system. I used an 8 gal tank from Home Depot that was perfect for my application and it came with a pop-off for like $18.00.

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

what do you use for a compressor? yorx?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have the 150psi safety valve on the air manifold, so that's taken care of.

The compressor is a York 210.

Wait until you guys see this thing, I went a little bit overboard on it./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif All brass fittings, stainless braided lines, 2 gauges under the hood(one for system pressure and one to monitor pressure going to the ARB), 1 gauge in the dash, billet air manifold, front and rear air outlets, it's gonna look pretty trick and should work great. </font color>

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you ever get the compressor mounted... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Bah! Details, details... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan if I had known you want to measure 2 different pressures I'd have told you about the dual neddle pressure guages to put in the dash. My Pete has a split air system so if you lose one side you still have air to stop the truck and it has 1 gauge that shows both side with 2 neddles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That sounds pretty cool, but the gauges are cheap and with two seperate ones they just attach right to the manifold. Plus the dual gauges look cool./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The gauge in the dash is just to monitor system pressure so I can tell if there's a leak or something. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>