Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OBA with Scuba Tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Jul 8, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of regulator and where can you get them??
    Thanks

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i thought about the same thing cuz i have four tanks.BUT you can't get the tanks filled unless your certified. and it.'s cheaper to buy a tank made for that purpose. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. boggerless

i dive so i know how it it would be .i tried to get my friend derrik (a fireman) to get our tanks filled at the station,but the chief wasn't down with that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifive known him since i was 8. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I could definitely fill tanks if I needed to, but I was wondering about putting CO2 in the scuba tank (if that's legal).

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Too high of pressure to be safe inside a vehicle if you ask me, especially one to be used off road.

6. boggerless

what are you trying to do with the air?cuz you can get scuba tanks filled with a percentage of oxegen.for deep dives. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

co2 will last a lot longer than air.

or is your question about using the scuba tanks for c02

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I can't remember the name of the place here in Denver, but I got quoted $200 for a custom regulator. I have a 4500psi SCBA bottle (it's an hour bottle too!) from SCOTT that I want to run OBA with. Try asking around at your local welding shop or gas supply houses, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Imagine: 4500 psi of air in a lightweight composite bottle! That should fill about 100 44 inch tires!!!

9. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Thinking of doing the same thing. Waiting for a friend of mine to get back to me with a price on the reg. Already have an old aluminium Scott bottle and a Zimatic bracket. Can't beat the price on them. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Problem is CO2 becomes a liquid before it hits 2000 psi. So it will always be a volume/size issue beyond that. Your 4500 psi tank is just less likely to blow (a good thing IMO).

just my .02

11. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I don't want to with CO2 mainly because of moisture in it.
    I was going to go with breathing air because I can get the bottle filled for free. Not to much better on moisture content though.

12. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'd never put CO2 in that SCOTT bottle, because I can get it filled with breathing air anytime at the firehouse for free. I once used and air chisel with the same type of bottle and managed to run a rip down the side of a school bus 30 feet long, ans still had 1900 psi left! That's alot of air!

Oh, and as to the "danger" of having such a high pressure bottle in your rig, well if installed securely, inside the rig, it's perfectly safe. I would have to say that if I were to wreck mt truck hard enough for that bottle to be a safety issue, I'd probably be too dead to care.

13. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I work for the Phone Factory (Ma Bell)....we use Nitrogen to pressurize our underground cables...Most of the copper is insulated with Paper in underground applications...Nitrogen is used to keep it dry...Many Cable Splicers still carry bottles of Nitrogen on their trucks to power air chisels, wrenches, etc....and to buffer cables when they have to open them...

I've used nitrogen at 200psi to drive chisels, air tools, etc and never had to worry about filtering out water because it simply doesn't form...

Filtered compressed air (like that used in SCUBA) will cause some water to form whe it is released from pressure quickly....when it is used as breathing air, it is released at the adiabatic rate (same atmospheric pressure) under a lower pressure and does not necessarily produce water....

I would use Nitrogen...it's dry, inert, cheap, and non corrosive....

I also have 2 Aluminum 80 (industry standard) Scuba tanks I'd like to get rid of as I can't dive anymore (heart attacks sux)...

If you simply change out the valve, they are rated high enough to supply any onboard air application you would reasonably use...get a 250psi regulator, and yer good to go... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My only concern w/ using nitrogen in a tank kept inside of a vehicle is the danger of asphyxiation. If the tank starts to leak in a confined space it can gradually displace the O2 in the air to below the normal 27% (air in our atmosphere is 70% nitrogen, 27% oxygen & 3% other gases). This lack of oxygen concentration causes hypoxia. It can set in gradually whereby you start to lose coordination and motor skills w/o realizing it… and you can figure out the rest… /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. However, N2 is no more dangerous than CO2. I would have to believe though, that the bottles holding gases other than breathing air have much more strict standards to prevent leakage.

We use N2 to service all the struts, tires and accumulators on our aircraft for the previously mentioned drying and anticorrosive properties of the gas. When I have to drain the N2 from any of these components for maintenance, I quickly become light headed, even in a somewhat open area.

Just something to think about when considering what type of gas to run…..

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

It is my impression that when running the CO2 you get longer use out of it than the oxegyn or Nitro. I know that my bottle of CO2 lasts far longer than the bottle of nitrogen we have in the bug.

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Also, why would you ever want to buy a regulater for 200 bucks when you can get the whole kit and cabutal for 200. I bought a tank, regulator, hose, mount all for 200. here is alink to the guy on ebay I got mine from. I am very happy with mine it works great , i get it filled for 7 bucks and it will fill up 3 44's plus run the air tools to take them on and off, plus 2 38's (that is what I have used my currant tank for and it still has go!!) The Source on EBAY

[​IMG]

17. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

One last thing, CO2 in liquid form results in air storage 3 times the energy of nitrogen or air. This means you are storing three nitrogen tanks in one using the the SOURCE™.

18. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is my impression that when running the CO2 you get longer use out of it than the <font color="red">oxygen</font> or Nitro.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Certainly you mean air, not oxygen. Not trying to be nitpicky, but I wouldn't want anyone taking the oxygen tank from their oxy-acetylene torch and use it to run power tools. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

19. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

yes air, hence the last post with AIR!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

cool.... I guess I was typing my post when you posted the other... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif