Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OBD Laptop software

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stickseler, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

So the wifes got this cool laptop...and I've got this cool 89 Blazer. Any way to hook the 2 up?

Software...cables ect to diagnose the truck?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The Software and instructions for building a cable............

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I use WinALDL with mine and it works great. Hightly recommended, 2 thumbs up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Once you get the software up and running, and start understanding what you are seeing, you are well on your way to burning your own PROM's.

Not really advantageous if you haven't made any "major" mods, but definitely something to consider if you have.

5. BadDog

Hey Dorian, did you ever get set up to burn your own? I've got another K5 now that has an upgraded TBI 350. Dart Heads and a mild roller cam with 3" high flow exhaust is about all there is to it. Unfortunately PO doesn’t remember much about the grind, basically said is was close to the stock Vortec roller profile. BLM shows it tending to run rich (BLM running from 135 to 140 or so) with no problems I can find. I figure I might be skating on the edge of new chip territory...

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, never really got into it, since the truck doesn't run yet. I read up on it, researched it a lot, talked to a friend with the "burner", and am just waiting until it is up and running. He's offered to loan the burner to me, and I've built the cable and run the software on a laptop, just need to get the truck running lol. I could hook the scanner up to the setup and check it without it running, but thats pretty pointless. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BLM's of 128 are "ideal", and from what I recall of the ranges, your numbers are quite a ways from that, in the scheme of things.

7. BadDog

That's my understanding too. All sensor inputs are in the acceptable ranges, so that's what got me thinking I need a chip...

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

IIRC higher BLMs mean its running lean. My truck with a mild cam and a stage 2 chip from TBIchips.com still runs lean. My next option is larger injectors and/or more fuel pressure. Also if its running lean check your fuel filter.

9. bigd652

bigd652 Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 Blazer with a 350. Can I use this software on that?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Where you run into the biggest problem with a modded engine and factory EFI is at wide open throttle (WOT). The narrow band O2 sensors used in the older systems can't properly read the (typically rich) exhaust at WOT, so the computer is programed to ignore the O2 sensor at that point and just rely on the WOT data stored in the lookup tables of the PROM. The "perfect" ratio at cruise is supposed to be 14.7:1, but at WOT, somewhere in the range of 12-13:1 is quite common. You need a wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust stream (and the proper equipment to interpret it) to see what's really going on at WOT. But the price of that equipment starts at around $350 and goes into the stratosphere. Strapping a rig to a good chassis dyno for a few runs, with a wide band O2 sensor, can go a long way to helping set up the PROM to feed a modded engine properly.

11. BadDog

You are correct, I didn't state that very well.

The mods make the engine breath better, but the TBI computer is not calibrated for that air flow. Since the engine breaths better, it needs more fuel to go with the extra air. Under stock parameters, the engine would run lean, but the O2 sensor is allowing the computer to detect the condition and compensate by running the TBI *richer* than should be necessary (or so the computer thinks) to try to correct the lean condition. So what I meant by “running rich” is that the ECM/TBI is running richer than the stock parameters, not that the engine was running rich. Did that make any sense at all?

I may raise the fuel pressure to 15 psi soon to see if that helps. If not, maybe bigger injectors and/or a 454 TBI are in order. Gotta do more research before doing anything more than upping the pressure though...

Edit: bigd652, yes, that should be an ALDL TBI system so WinALDL should work...

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Thanksguys...time to go get the kids 150 in 1 Radio Shack electronic project kit and see if I can pillage the parts for the plug /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    And I can get the serial plug from the extra Lego robot /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BadDog

You'll never find the ALDL plug, at least I couldn't find one anywhere... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

OK i got ya now.....Yea my project is to modify the existing regulator first to see if thats enough or not. There is such a broad area of what people have run with similar combinations. If that doesnt work i can send my data log and stage 2 chip to Brian at tbichips.com and he said he would burn it as close as he could from that info. He sure has helped me out so far with chips and his prices are pretty darn good too.

15. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    OK i got ya now.....Yea my project is to modify the existing regulator first

[/ QUOTE ]

Then get off your dead ass and pull your TBI so we can do it! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif