Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

obd1 programer ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lamberthkp, Feb 4, 2006.

1. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

ok i posted the other week on custom chips , well a few of the guys pointed me to some sites to learn how to program my own, wich is what i would like to do.
    iv been to a dozon sits or more reading on this stuff like thirdgeneration,tbichips,xtronics and so on , well i think i have found everything i need!
    1:ALDL cable
    2:POCKET PROGRAMER
    3:TUNER PROGRAM
    4:EPROM ERASER
    on the net this is what all im told i need from varius sites but there are many different brands of all this. it all looks complicated reading about it but i think i can do it i am getting extra eproms as well just in case.

well my ? is who here has actually programed there on chips for engine mods? was it as easy as they say it is? did u run into any problems? is the gear i have listed everything i need?

any help or advice would be great , thanks! Keenan

2. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I've programmed my own stuff, not so much for mods but to make the computer run on an older motor without changing out the cam. I have some recommendations on equipment:

ALDL Cable:
    I bought a mastach.com one, worked fine for me. You can buy them off of mastach.com, but you'll get one cheaper if you watch ebay as they didn't have reserves on them when I bought mine.

Chip Programmer:
    I bought the Pocket programmer II, and I'm happy with it, but the price was pretty high ($175 new) and I found out later that a willem-style chip burner works fine at about a quarter the price.

Tuner Program:
    I like tunerpro, by mark mansur

Eprom Eraser:
    I didn't buy an eprom eraser, instead I opted to dump the factory EPROM for a 29C256 and a Craig Moates flash adapter. The flash chips can be burned and re-burned in less time and don't require the purchase of a UV eraser, plus the price of a couple flash chips and an adapter was less than the cost of a used UV eraser off of ebay when I was pricing them out.

Since you're going to be doing this for performance modifications, it will take MANY chip revisions to get the motor dialed in pretty close to how you want it, and I would really advise the purchase of the moates ostrich, an emulator that works in real time off of a laptop's USB port to do tuning, and mark mansur's TunerproRT works great with the ostrich to do tuning.

One last thing, if you have a 1227747 or similar TBI computer with the SLOOOOW aldl bitrate, upgrading to an 8625 will make tuning a breeze.

3. lamberthkp

cool, i will check that stuff out , thanks for the reply! :D

4. lamberthkp

the flash adaptor your talking about is it the G2 memory adaptor with 0.45 or .6 spacing for $30 ? i also looked up that willem chip burner found a used one for $45. is this the site you were talking about for it www.xenocron.com it says they dont have the willem anymore but have the MOATS BURN 1 chip programer $85, do you know anything about this one im sure its just as good i reckin.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

moates.net is where you'll find all of craigs stuff.

I can't recall what his username is over on thirdgen.org, but he is/was fairly active in the DIY-PROM forum. He's a good guy.

6. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Yes, that was what I was referring to. You have to check the pin spacing since the computers GM put in the cars/trucks weren't always the same, but the G2 is necessary to put the 29C256 in the 1227747. It isn't necessary to put a flash chip in the 8625, but I would highly recommend you buy a ZIF connector regardless of which one you do.

I know the moates burn 1 won't burn the EPROM chips that came factory in the 7747 (the ones that require the UV eraser), but will do the 29C256. I've had nothing but good experiences with moates and I've made three orders with him, fast shipping and good prices.

On thirdgen.org, craig moates username is, suprise suprise, craig moates.

7. lamberthkp

awsome! well i reckin i have found everything i need to get going just need to check the pin spacing and order. might have a few more ?'s when it gets to the house , but thanks for all the help, Keenan