Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

occasionally smoking?....pinging?...running crappy? ... auto? READ THIS !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Mar 20, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

read this if you have

ok, heres the scoop. we lost our last motor when it suddenly started smoking badly, figured ok, its toast & bought a new zz4. soon it started this thing where it would die, or miss so we startd going through ignition stuff, everything was soon replaced, nothing changed, for very long. then it progressed to suddenly start pinging and smoke very badly, so we replaced sensors and nothing. gave up took ito to a shop finally and they said it was the ecm and injectors, so guess what CHA-CHINGGGG /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif NOTHING /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11 months later now we had given up, and began to thing it was thre new engine since the smoke was BLUE like oil, but i wasnt convinced yet since it only smoked when it pinged, so i started calling to get in to yet...another shop and a guy over the phone asked me to walk to my truck while on the phone, i did, and he asked me to check my oil, and he was right on the money it was 2 qts overfull..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ok, then he says to yank my tranny modulator vacume line off, so i did, and "yes sir, tranny fluid is coming out" I says..

BINGO it was junk, the vacume pod is ripped internally and allowing me to suck tranny fluid from my pan into my intake /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif intermittenly and smoke and also foul the plug closest to the vacume inlrt, the 2 rear passenger ones. so, after a new engine, 1400$$ worth of diagnostics and a for sale sign the fix was a $ 14.00 part and a oil change.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifwow, this thing hauls ass now /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Rob

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Very interesting! Congrats on a succesful fix /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Sometimes, it is the little things that will get you....

Glad it is running fine now. Makes you wonder if the last motor was really bad /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I just went through this. Thought it was a head...luckily I caught a post mentioning it, but not before i changed the intake gasket. It was the module.

5. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    Makes you wonder if the last motor was really bad /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]it was good, until it saw too much tranny fluid, ya the valve guide seals got descintagrated
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Woah that sucks, at least its fixed and running now! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

You better go buy that guy on the phone a round /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. uglychevyZZ4

we did, a case.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

sounds like my truck... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif except without the smoking part... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

When I had my 83 dodge pickup it never ran right and it smoked. So I yanked the heads off sent them out to be milled magnafluxed 3angle valve grind, seals whole thing. Checked the cylinder walls and rings everything looked good. Reassembled still had problems, replaced the coil, and wires (it had a new cap rotor and plugs). NOthing still ran the same... crappy!

Finally took it to the electrical guys and had them give the once over, he calls me about 3 hours later says its fixed /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif (I was a little worried because I didn't OK any fixes)... so I ask WHAT WAS WRONG? Crack in the distributor cap /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

$300 worth of stuff and 2months work and its was a $17 part that I had already replaced /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif