Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Octane Booster?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JpEater, Mar 27, 2006.

1. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I am looking for an octane booster for a boat. My problem is that I need 93 octane but 89 is the only thing available. Does anyone know if there is a booster that would be strong enough to get those results? I have thought about dilluting with racing fuel but don't know if that is an option. Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

diluting race fuel with the 89 will get better results than an octane booster. However is it a fuel injected engine? Can't use leaded fuels with Fuel Injected engines, eats O2 sensors for lunch.

3. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

It is a 35' Donzi Boat with Triple Mercury 250 XS Optimax 2 strokes. The boat has 135 hours. The previous owner ran 89 because that is all that is available at the marina's. Mercury says to run 93. The boat is gonna be run hard so I need to get the octane to 93 or better. The main problem is that the only place to get 93 is by a 30 minute ride to town. Another factor is pulling a 35' boat out and putting it on the trailer isn't the easiest thing in the world. And last kink in the chain is it has a 350 gallon fuel tank so 5 gallon cans are out. I am kinda stuck. I wouldn't mind carrying a few cans of racing fuel and filling up at the marina to dillute it. Any help would be much appreciated. THanks

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Most octane boosters will say on the back of the can in fine print how much you will gain in most applications. if i remember right it takes around 2 bottles to get +1 in grade...

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You could always go for the 55 gal drum and barrel pump setup or a bed mounted tank in your truck...

Tho you can get 94 around here, I do know guys that do that..

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would not consider octane boost for those engines. You have the investment in the boat, match it with the correct fuel.

I am running a mix for one of our motorcycles and know the PITA.

7. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

All of the octane boosters that I have seen raise the octane level by one point. As in 89.0 to 89.1. That is what the fine print says on the bottles. I have looked at AutoZone and Advanced Auto.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I know someone with a 43' black thunder powerboat.. dual 502's and he trailers it.... every time.... dodge dually diesel does the job.. he saves $$$ as he gets his fuel at the local pump... (not like when you own a boat like that you are worried about saving $$$$ :haha: )

9. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I don't have a trailer for it yet. It is on the lift and ready to use. I have a trailer ordered but it is over a month out till delivery. I guess that I will just have to wait till then before the boat can get used.

10. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

the other thing you gotta think about is how many bottles of that crap would you need for 350 gallons that is alot and that stuff is spendy just get an in truck bed pump , and tank like heavy equipment companys use in a boat like that you should use the right fuel , and then you can still use the boal witout the trailer , maybe pull your truck to the ramp and fill it there should be close enough i would say

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

are you sure its .1 and not 1... I've heard octane ratings refered to as points before. I think they mean if its 89 fuel, add a bottle and its now 90 octane.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No. A point is .1 Thats means octane is raised from 89 to 89.1.

As far as cheap octane booster IMHO the best thing for you to use is tolulene. Thats what oil companies add to gas to raise octane. It is pure hydrocarbon and wont hurt fuel systems, Rubber/plastic Gas lines, or engines.
    Here is some good info on it. Mix ratios ECT:http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
    I have used tolulene myself to boost octane in 2 strokes with no ill effects