Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Octane Booster?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Nov 22, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm going out and playing in the dunes this weekend and was thinking of throwing some octane booster in the tank when I get out there. Are there any negative affects of using the stuff even just for one tank? or any brand recomendations?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

There shouldn't be any negative effects but there shouldn't be any reason you should throw it in your tank either.

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ya why do think you need it?

isn't 93 octane enough?

4. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I used to run VP Red in one of my old scooters, but that was only because I had 13.5:1 compression. Higher octane makes for a more even detonation which is critical when you have one giant piston with little to no extra room on the combustion chamber...Now, on a big ol V8, I don't know what the benefit woudl be...also, the problem with the additives is that to got from 91 to 105 octane meant I needed to treat a LOT of fuel, adn it was no inexpensive. You gotta figure the water down figure would be HUGE on 20 + gallons of fuel...in othe rwords, you woudl need a lot of additive for just a little return.

5. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Cali only has 91 at the pumps

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I don't really need it I thought I'd just play with it and see if it helps the truck run a little better. The sheet on the motor recommends 98-102. and like mentioned in california all we get at the pump is 91.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what comp. ratio you running? Are you planning on having your foot in it a lot?

Posted the same time as me.......
    It looks like with that recommendation you must be 10.5 or higher, is this a street motor?

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

octane booster has nominal effects on a full tank of fuel... "increased by 5 points" "treats up to 20 gallons"

means it ups the octane .5 over 20 gallons... so you'd need what, 20 bottles for 10 full octane points on 20 gallons? and at 6 dollars a bottle? 120 bucks? just buy some racing fuel.. find a speed shop in your town or on your way out to the dunes..

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

nope don't need it that bad. and thats for 20 gallons. I've got 30

10. Dr. Morgenstern

Dr. Morgenstern Registered Member

Tecumseh, Ontario (across from Detroit, Mi)
    You're better off to get a little VP racing fuel and mix it into the tank of fuel. Also as far as octane booster, it takes more and more of it to get the next increase. Kind of inversely proportional. The first can gets you a 0.5 increase in octane rating, the next can a 0.4 increase, the third maybe a 0.3 increase etc.

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mass has 93 at all pumps. That is what I run.

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Your octane boosters like hot 104 are just petroleum waste products mixed with kerosene packaged in a pretty bottle.. refiners have to do something with the leftovers from refining gasoline, and hazmat is too expensive, so they sell the waste to companies called converters ( STP is the biggest).. if the stuff was any good, why not leave it in the gasoline to begin with?

As has been said, the octane increase is minimal, but the other downsides are btu loss ( from the lower energy kerosene ), metallic deposits and emissions you get when the mmt is combusted.. oh yeah, you'll also get a sticky sooty residue that does wonders for ring sealing and your cylinder walls.

Tom

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I burn 91 Ethanol