Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

odd ball doubler idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by desertrat67, Aug 8, 2004.

1. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I saw a crewcab dually in el paso that has two 205's under it. One was married and the other divorced. My new truck is a standard cab K30. If i had a 2 205's of this same configuration, would it be possible to cut off the front output half of the married case, weld up the openning, and use the divorced one mounted directly centerd between the axles so as to have the same drivshaft length front and rear and minimize front pinion angle? Don't be getting on me for destroying good 205 cases or anything, this is just an idea and i would try nd find ones already damaged or in need of rebuild. Also, can a 205 originally behind a th400(long female front shaft) be converted to divorced configuration if it was married to begin with?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend had a crew cab service bed he used for vacations in Baja and dez racer chasing. The plan was to hang a Ford TTB under the front (2wd truck) and use a Ford divorced 205 (LH drop) behind a GM married 205. Got as far as the married 205. Found that having low range 2wd was enough for what he did with the truck.

So instead of cutting up a GM 205, maybe find a Dodge D60 with the LH pinion and use a Ford divorced 205?

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Ryan,

Jay(s Beast) and I have been talking about making an "odd ball" doubler for him..... I think the possibilities are numerous, so long as you got the wheelbase to deal w/ it.... and both of you do! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I think the most cost effective way to pull it off would be to use a "driver's side" 241 for the first case, and a 32 spline "passenger side" 205 for the second. The rear output shaft of the 241 would be a 32 spline (slip yoke) shaft that would mate directly to the input of a T400 version 205. Then all you'd have to make is the adapter to go between them.

Prolly gonna do this w/ Jay's pretty soon. I can check w/ Bill @ Az Kickin' to see if he'll make the adapters.../forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Marv

** EDIT **
    ...and I forgot to mention why this is the way to go. Here's some advantages over using 2 - 205's:
    1) less wieght
    2) first low (in the 241) will be lower ratio
    3) will end up w/ more gear selection (2.72, 2.0, 5.44) - instead of (2.0, duplicate 2.0, and 4.0).
    4) probably easier to find a d-side 241 than a T400 version 205.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I had thought about this for a while too and if you used a Ford 205 and a GM divorced 205 together, Split shift both of them so you could independatly control all the outputs the extra front output could be put to use driving a hydraulic pump or something of that nature. Rather than just cutting it off or welding it shut.

5. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Finding another way of getting more gearing can only help when your crawling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I had never even thought of using anything besides a pair of 205s. That sounds pretty interesting using the 241. Keep me updated on how it comes along. it might be an easier way to go.

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I like the rocks. I wish i had had a little more gearing available at the Chile Challenge earlier this year. I wouldn't have had to use as much throttle.

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Allright Jay....

Let's get this thing going... Ryan's waiting on us./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Find yo'sef a d-side drop 241. We need to take it apart and design the adapter....

Marv

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i think you would have to put the devorced one far back, some one on here just did a devorced in a reg pu, and his shavfs were the same lenth, (he conected them with just yokes and a u joint.

so as i think about it, the seconed t case would have to be 2 feet back to make them the same lenth.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had thought about this for a while too and if you used a Ford 205 and a GM divorced 205 together, Split shift both of them so you could independatly control all the outputs the extra front output could be put to use driving a hydraulic pump or something of that nature. Rather than just cutting it off or welding it shut.

[/ QUOTE ]

We talked about putting a PTO on the first front output to drive the Blender with.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Find yo'sef a d-side drop 241. We need to take it apart and design the adapter....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey , you remember where a few were sitting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My Drivers side 241 on my '92 1 ton GMC has a fixed yoke on the back. Just noticed that today.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My Drivers side 241 on my '92 1 ton GMC has a fixed yoke on the back. Just noticed that today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt its a NP241... 1-tons usually had a Borg Warner case. Could be a 1370, 4401, or 4470. I picked up a BW4401 from a '95 K3500 crewcab.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the most cost effective way to pull it off would be to use a "driver's side" 241 for the first case, and a 32 spline "passenger side" 205 for the second. The rear output shaft of the 241 would be a 32 spline (slip yoke) shaft that would mate directly to the input of a T400 version 205. Then all you'd have to make is the adapter to go between them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Custom adapters are not cost effective IMO. A divorced Dodge 205 is a ~$100 item (and has a 32-spline front output as a bonus). A 32-spline input 205 goes for significantly more $$$... makes for good cost recovery on the project /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Make sure you get an adapter with the NP241... its not the same as a round pattern 205 adapter.

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I can get you a ford 208 (non slip yoke) for nearly free.