Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odd electrical issue - involving relays.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, May 5, 2007.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I am having the oddest issue. I installed some aux 55watt lights in the grill of my Blazer. Now, ive installed a number of off road lights and what not over the years. Infact ive got a set of 100watt off roaders on the front bumper and 55watt back up lights under the back of my truck. All the wiring is standard. Im using 30a relays and lighted switches.

The problem im having with the 55watt grill lights is that the relay is sticking. If I tap it, the lights come on. Well, this wont work, so I replaced the relay with a brand new one and it keeps blowing fuses. I put the old one back in and it works and doesnt blow fuses. This is the 2nd time ive done this, the first time was with a relay I had laying around, well when it blew fuses I thought it was bad relay. So today I put a brand new outa the box relay in there and it did the same thing. hook up the old one and it works. This is very very odd.

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Are these black box relays (little square black box), or HD relays that look like a Ferd starter relay? If they are the square black type, the wiring is likely different. Look at the schematic printed on the relay and ensure that they are the same. If they are not, you are likely inadvertently creating a short by hooking the relay up wrong.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

They are the same in all cases.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

You mean all your relays are the same?

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

They are diff. brands but the layout is the same for the terminals.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

How many sets of lights do you have hooked to that relay? What is the rated amp pull on those lights? How long did your old relay last with the current setup?

7. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Each set of lights has its own relay and switch.

Not sure the draw on the lights themselves. the relay is 30a

Ive had this configuration for a year or so. No issues other than sticking relay.