Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odd Flywheel question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Oct 11, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well this may sound odd but if my flywheel was loose what would it sound like. Cause I got this weird clankin sound coming from the bellhousing area. Im pretty sure thats were its coming from and occasionally it will make other farm animal noise's......

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Is it a constant clanking sound, even at idle? If so, climb underneath when it's idling and check it out. You could also remove the dust cover and see for yourself if it's loose. If it is loose enough to be making clanging noises, I wouldn't drive it another mile.

The noise you are hearing is most likely something else. Maybe a rock or a bolt/nut got stuck up in there?

Do you have any shifting problems? Could your tranni be going out?

Thomas.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Are you sure it's from the bellhousing area not the bottom end of the engine?
    Also is it just noise or do you feel anything wrong, like slipping or rocking, is it only when you're driving it or also at Idle?

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Is it a manual flywheel or a flexplate (automatic)? I've had a couple automatic flexplates crack and make some pretty loud rattling/clanking noises before.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

BAH! I bet its the flexplate bolts that connect the torque convertor to the flexplate. I'll put $ on it... my 400 used to loosen these bolts all the time. Take em out one at a time, and reinstall them with a little red locktite on them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just my .02

-Dan

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if anyone glanced at your signature? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Oops, stupid me. I even checked your profile and didnt even see the SM465 in the signature. Could be a problem in the pressure plate/throwout bearing maybe.

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

SMART @SS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif k... well... forget what I said then! Does the noise go away if you depress the clutch?

-Dan

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I did /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    The first thing I thought of was the flexplate crack but I looked at his sig and found the 465.