Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

odd noise from tranny(TH350)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by barneybasher1010, Feb 28, 2007.

1. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

I got a whinning noise coming from my transmission, It is coming from the front. It sounds almost like a noisy gear drive. I took the cover off the torque converter and see nothing. It only does it in gear not in park or neutral. The tranny still shifts fine. It is not the starter.:confused: What could this be?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I get a whining noise from my passenger seat sometimes....that's why I leave her at home a lot!:D
    But seriously....
    I think the pump can cause a whine under pressure. Did you do a search? I'm sure I've seen this covered before.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

filter?..

Maybe the filter is clogging up ??--I had a "whiny" TH400, when the fliud and filter was so dirty it clogged the filter up--noise went away after I changed both..but it was noisy in park and neutral, as well as in gear..

Usually the front pump is the source of whining noises,could be yours is going out..also ,cavitation(air in the fliud), can cause the fluid to foam up, and air trapped in the pump can cause whining noises..overfilling it can cause cavitation..water in the tranny fluid can cause this too..:crazy:

4. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

The fluid is full and clean and the fluid is not foaming.
    I dove around today and it comes and goes:confused: . But is louder in forward gears than reverse.